[SOLVED] Question about Windows 10 booting and multiboot

Oct 27, 2020
Hello. So my desktop died on me recently and not 100% sure on why, based on tests it seems like it was OS getting corrupted or SSD breaking. Will be building a new pc soon, so I was wondering. After my new pc is built, could I just grab my old SSD, plug it in and run it right off the bat? Assuming the SSD isn't broken and the OS isn't corrupt, it should boot to windows right? At least in safe mode (in case there are some driver issues, though my old card is Nvidia and so is the new one)?

Also wondering about if I plug that SSD in but I also install Windows10 on the new SSD m2. Do I have to do something special in order to be able to choose between these two during booting? Will my new pc even know the second SSD has windows on it or is this Master Boot Record that would need to be fixed in troubleshooting/command prompt view?

What if I would like to install something like Ubuntu on my normal HDD. Could I have 2x Windows + 1x Ubuntu in that case to choose between during booting?

Was always a bit hesitant to install second OS when I got my last desktop incase I messed something up so never ended up having this experience.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
After my new pc is built, could I just grab my old SSD, plug it in and run it right off the bat? Assuming the SSD isn't broken and the OS isn't corrupt, it should boot to windows right?
Nope. Do not rely on that.
It may work and it may fail miserably.
On new hardware (different motherboard) it's always recommended to do full reinstall.
If you fail to do that, you'll face several issues:
boot mode compatibility (system doesn't boot),​
drivers compatibility (BSODs/ crashes, bad performance),​
windows activation issues.​
Also wondering about if I plug that SSD in but I also install Windows10 on the new SSD m2. Do I have to do something special in order to be able to choose between these two during booting?
After my new pc is built, could I just grab my old SSD, plug it in and run it right off the bat? Assuming the SSD isn't broken and the OS isn't corrupt, it should boot to windows right?
Nope. Do not rely on that.
It may work and it may fail miserably.
On new hardware (different motherboard) it's always recommended to do full reinstall.
If you fail to do that, you'll face several issues:
boot mode compatibility (system doesn't boot),​
drivers compatibility (BSODs/ crashes, bad performance),​
windows activation issues.​
Also wondering about if I plug that SSD in but I also install Windows10 on the new SSD m2. Do I have to do something special in order to be able to choose between these two during booting?
When installing windows, have only single drive connected. Disconnect all the other drives. If you fail to do this, your new windows installation will not be bootable without those other drives.
What if I would like to install something like Ubuntu on my normal HDD. Could I have 2x Windows + 1x Ubuntu in that case to choose between during booting?
Yes. That can be done.
For this to work, bootloader has to be on a separate partition and it must be fat32 formatted.

Solution
Oct 27, 2020
Alright, that's good information to have. Would it be fine to install Windows 10 first on new SSD m2, then connect old SSD assuming it works to transfer some files over to new SSD? As long as I just boot to freshly installed OS, all good? Thanks again.