Question about windows 7 to 10 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

modernwar99

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
I am probably going to upgrade my CPU soon because it is a major bottleneck to my R9 280x (less than 30% usage in GTA V). The current install of windows 7 is OEM and so getting a new mobo would mean a new copy of windows. Here's the thing though, I have an upgrade to windows 10 reserved and I am wondering if I could install that copy of windows 10 with the new mobo (would have the same HDD). Not sure about this because it would be a new install and not a upgrade technically so not sure if this would be possible. If it is possible would someone mind explaining how I would do this? (obviously windows 10 isn't out yet, just want to know what I need to buy)

Solution
This is a bit tricky.

Your OEM is licensed to that original motherboard. And your new Windows 10 will also be OEM.

I'd consider changing the motherboard before the OS upgrade. OEM licensing requires a new license, but often MS is somewhat lenient on this. All up to them, though.

After the hardware change, then consider upgrading to Win 10.

USAFRet

Titan
This is a bit tricky.

Your OEM is licensed to that original motherboard. And your new Windows 10 will also be OEM.

I'd consider changing the motherboard before the OS upgrade. OEM licensing requires a new license, but often MS is somewhat lenient on this. All up to them, though.

After the hardware change, then consider upgrading to Win 10.

Solution
As USAFret says, this is largely up to MS, however, for myself, I have as of yet not encountered any instance where I've changed motherboards on a Windows 7 build, even with OEM versions, and been denied when I activated after the change using the phone in method. I'd think if you changed the board first, reactivated and then did the upgrade, you'd be fine. BUT, it IS up to MS whether it's allowed or not. By rule, it should not work unless it's the same motherboard model, but it DOES work and has the twenty or so times I've done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS