Question about Windows 7 to Windows 8

harleychen

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012
Hey guys,

So I bought a Win7 PC during the promotion period where I have the option to upgrade to Windows 8 for $15. I am wondering if I could do the upgrade as a separate operating system on the same computer? Meaning that I would have Win7 and Win8 on the same PC in case something goes wrong on Win8.

I was thinking I could back up my Win7 first, install Win8 on one disk and then restore Win7 on another disk.

Thank you!! :)
HC

harleychen

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012

Hey,

Thanks for your input. That is what I am worried about. It is probably an upgrade version. I asked Microsoft via live chat and the person told me that Windows 8 that I upgrade will have a different license... So I don't know if my Win7 licience will just deactivate itself or something? Because if they are two separate licensees, then I could probably do dual boot though?

Thank you!
HC

popeyejohnson

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
if its an upgrade version there is a trick you can use.....download imgburn and on the 1st page is an option to write folders to iso show it your upgrade version and itll do the rest, then burn your new bootable disc and go

harleychen

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012

Hey, could you please explain it more explicitly? How do I do the dual boot with imgburn?

Thanks