Question Question about windows after motherboard change

USAFRet

Titan
Nope.

The best way is to bite the bullet and do a fresh OS install.

Trying to get around that has 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've personally seen all 3.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello I have recently changed my motherboard to an MSI B450M PRO VDH MAX . Earlier I used Gigabyte AB350M GAMING 3. My question is that if I use this link- https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/fix-windows-10-repair-install to reinstall windows and then use DDU, will I still have driver issues ? Is there any other way to escape fresh install of windows ?
Unknown. A clean OS install is the recommended path.
It might work, it might not boot or it might have "ghost" problems.
Any of the three outcomes are possible.

XANtheman

Prominent
Feb 12, 2022
Nope.

The best way is to bite the bullet and do a fresh OS install.

Trying to get around that has 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've personally seen all 3.

I was just looking at your previous answers to other people. I was wondering if the 30minute repair install will be okay and if there is some other method. Actually I already tried it and the texture issues in games did not go away. Although the texture issues aren't severe enough but network issues are quite noticeable. Microsoft should release something to clean install without complete re-installation.

kanewolf

Titan
I was just looking at your previous answers to other people. I was wondering if the 30minute repair install will be okay and if there is some other method. Actually I already tried it and the texture issues in games did not go away. Although the texture issues aren't severe enough but network issues are quite noticeable. Microsoft should release something to clean install without complete re-installation.
They can't really. The problem is that the Windows registry needs to be cleanly created. But, most applications rely on registry entries. Those get wiped out. Then your applications don't work. Badly "behaving" applications install files in system folders which get wiped out. There is no easy solution. Prepare to do a clean install BEFORE you swap components. Gather the list of installed applications, any install files and license keys. Then you are prepared in case all other options fail.

USAFRet

Titan
So then you are deep into the #3 above.

You can try your repair install. I wouldn't hold out any magical hope it works.

As far as MS making something to "fix this"?

Remember...they have an operating system that works on literally billions of unique devices.
No 2 systems are alike. Different hardware + different software.

Reactions: XANtheman