Question about windows media creation tool

RestInPieces

Reputable
May 30, 2015
I just got a new SSD and wish to keep w7 on my old HDD and install w10 to the SSD. Formatted the drive etc. Now will the windows media creation tool give me the option to install w10 on the new SSD if I choose "upgrade this PC now", or will it immediately upgrade w7?

Solution

Couple of issues here.

1. For installation on a whole different drive, you have to use the MediaCreation tool to create a DVD or USB. And in place "Upgrade" will wipe out your Win 7 on the current HDD.

2. For Upgrading to Win 10 for free, you need to upgrade the Win 7. You don't get a second OS license and get to use both.

USAFRet

Titan

Couple of issues here.

1. For installation on a whole different drive, you have to use the MediaCreation tool to create a DVD or USB. And in place "Upgrade" will wipe out your Win 7 on the current HDD.

2. For Upgrading to Win 10 for free, you need to upgrade the Win 7. You don't get a second OS license and get to use both.

Solution

RestInPieces

Reputable
May 30, 2015
Thanks for the swift reply! Got a separate key.

If I create a bootable USB, will I have to disconnect the HDD, so that it installs on SSD, or will it give me the option to choose a drive by installing from windows 7 environment?

TRENDING THREADS