[SOLVED] Question about workstation level cards and Windows 10

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
At the shop I have an old Dell workstation that has been slowing getting more and more troublesome. It's issues aren't the point of the question/convo other than to say that like many of these, it has the dual display port output. The desk already has two matched monitors that still work fine for the work flow, the cables and all are managed and everything is right and tight on that aspect. I do not wish to change that.

I have a Ryzen system that is likely to get put into that position when the buggy symptoms become more than is desired to work with. It's a 1700 and the only GPU I could put hands on is a GT210 out of a MUCH older Pentium rig I have on hand. It will display video, particularly static pages, but won't play video (full screen) and does not have the DP connectors I need.

The simplest site I am aware of for searching feature is Newegg. I came up with this search which is a wide variety and age of Quadro and Firepro type cards with 2X DP. I was going to follow through on a cheapo Quadro and reading indicated that it might not play well with Win 10. I cannot confirm, as I simply don't know when or where the "cutoff" would be. I mean, if a GT210 works....

Anywho, can someone tell me if all/some/none of the sub $100 cards on here would operate on Windows 10?

2 Workstation Graphics Cards | Newegg.com

As a for instance, I was looking at the v5800 and an article here indicates it isn't compatible with Win 10...
Is a firepro v5800 compatible with windows 10? | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

Lutfij

Titan
Yeah older cards with newer OS isn't a good idea. You could force older cards to work via installing older version drivers(meant for the card) on Windows 10 in compatibility mode but your results can and will vary. For compatibility mode, you will need to Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility tab> Windows X(from drop down menu), if the drivers aren't meant for Windows 10. When stating that last line, I looked on Nvidia's support site, here, using K2000 as the search item. Perhaps try and use that support site to see if the older cards have support for Windows 10, with the latest drivers revisions...?

Reactions: punkncat