[QUESTION] Are components/CPUs due to come down in price?

Quasso

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Hi everybody, hope you're having a great Christmas!

I am looking to build a new system involving a Core i5-2500k, corsair vengeance RAM, an XFX radeon 6950 2GB graphics card etc.

Just wondering whether there's anything happening soon which might cause these sort of components to drop in price. Of course things such as SSDs coming down would be useful. Not to mention the Asus P8Z68 PRO/GEN3 mobo!

Anyone who knows general patterns for price drops or information on it, please enlighten me! I don't want to buy it all then find it drops by £20 the next week!

Merry Christmas :hello:

price drops usualy happen quarterly but stagnate just b4 xmas they will drop a little just after as you see the sales bite. but march april is unlikely to see any great drops as intel currently have no real competition now. amd look like they have thrown in the towel. maybe june/july will see another drop as 2011 brings out more parts and 1155 will be looking at a dye shrink... maybe then you may see a 5% drop for mid and 10% for low end cpus. but thats just a guess based on uk sales. our prices dont always tie in with u.s prices.

Yeah AMD threw in the towel.....LOL

Thanks for daily chuckle. You never know what your going to hear on this forum.

Anyways, Intel rarely drops prices, if they do it' only about $10. SSD's are falling fast and video cards do drop quite a bit, but I wouldn't expect anything else to drop. Memory is about as cheap as it could possibly be. I'm seeing 8GB of DDR3-1600 going as low as $20 after rebate.

Ivy Bridge is looking to come in at the same price as current Sandy Bridge prices, and those will be discontinued. Ivy Bridge isn't going to be much faster though, but it will have much improved graphics and use much less power. I think the top models will be 77w.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
maybe 6950 will suffer a large price lose, due to 7xxx and 6xx series.
As amd is not in the form to comptete with 2500k so we can assume only a little price drop and thats due to ivy.

Quasso

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Thanks for the replies people!

So what would you guys recommend? I would like to build the computer sooner rather than later, but if it would be worthwhile to wait (not for too long) either in terms of saving money or getting better components for the same price then I would do that.

The current system I want to build is:

■ Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
■ Processor - Intel core i5 2500k OR i7 2700k (the latter is less likely due to price constraints)
■ CPU cooler - Gelid Solutions Tranquillo Rev.2
■ Graphics card - XFX ATI Radeon 6950 HD
■ RAM - Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Blu Memory Four Module Kit
■ Boot drive - 120GB SSD Corsair Force Series 3
■ Storage drive - Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
■ Case - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D
■ PSU - currently undecided.

Season's greetings!

I expect prices to remain very close to where they are now except amd will likely as usual drop theirs when IB comes out. SB will only drop a little while 1366 and 1156 will remain the same maybe even go up for a year or so due to upgraders but that is it. i5 2500k is more than enough for most people but if you want bragging rights and HT i7 2600/2700k will do.

Quasso

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Yeah I thought this might be the case. Actually I meant to remove the part about the i7 as I'm sure it's overkill for me, and since the board will be IB compatible I'll most likely upgrade to one of those eventually if at all.

What are people's views on the particular components I've chosen? Are they decent value? In particular is the case a good choice over others? I really like its design and gather it's very good for cooling.

Quasso

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Anyone? Any further advice would be useful as I'm looking to start buying all the components soon.

elayman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
If you want to wait until Jan 6, the prices of the 6950 may fall. I'm currently waiting to see price of 7950 unless I can snag a good deal on a card on craigslist. Other than that, I doubt the prices will fall at all. You should probably get the SSD when it goes on sale (maybe boxing day?)

you can lol all you want m8. amd have thrown in the towel as they have stopped production of both athlon 2 and phenom 2 apart from the 960, in favor of liano. this means that they will soon have little or no presence in the enthusiast cpu market.
it seems like they are heading to fabless manufacture like nvidia. meaning they will farm out there builds to 3rd partys. so are unlikely to remain the competition to intel because of that alone.
they are stopping production of there enthusiast cpus in favour of server parts and oem parts... so yeah to me amd have thrown in the towel...

Of course they stopped production of Athlon II and Phenom II.....there's new cpu's out now.

You think Intel is still producing Nehalem's since SB came out???? lol

That's the way it works.

And I don't know where your from, but AMD really has NEVER been in the enthusiest cpu market....not since I been in the business (except for a short stint with the A64).

When I started in this business in 1997, AMD was a "value" cpu, just like they are now, nothing has changed.

And aside from Llano, you heard of Bulldozer, Steamroller and Piledriver right??? That's throwing in the towel?? Humerous.

Oh and of course SB will drop $10 when IB comes out, then as it's discontinued, the price will go up, as they always do. Have you looked at Q9550 prices in the last year??

Of course DDR3 prices are going to rise, they have reached the lowest point possible, all they can do now is rise.

wow amd owners arnt enthusiasts... LULZ... im sure there are plenty of amd enthusiasts that would beg to differ.

just coz you dont have no2 on your skooby doesnt mean your any less enthusiastic about suberus

does it?
no m8 thats eliteism and we dont need that here or the place will degenerate into a fanboy slanging match...
oh and yeah i have heard of them parts and none are expected to sell as well as the phenom 2 or even perform as well in some cases for that matter.

That was a pitiful attempt at the English language, I could make no sense out of that garbage you call sentences. When you learn how to write a complete sentence, one that's not full of spelling, punctuation and capitol letter errors, I'll attempt to read it again.

Wow.