Question: ASUS Maximus Formula audio expansion options

General_Disturbance

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131221&Tpk=ASUS%2bMaximus

This board comes with their SupremeFX II sounds card. I really really like good quality sound, and will readily buy top of the line Creative card and use it instead if I have to. Does anyone know how this included card performs? Is it as clear, loud, have good equalizer and mixing software, etc?

And, if I do get a creative card, will there even be room for it in a crossfire setup? Dual 2950's when they come out...not sure how much room they take up yet I guess.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I don't think that anyone knows the answer. The SupremeFX card that I had on my P5N32E-SLI Plus wasn't really any better than the avg onboard audio. It sucked in Vista, but mostly because of drivers.

I will also say that it wasn't the SupremeFX2, it was just SupremeFX. I have listened to another board(crosshair) with the same audio card and it was alot better than the one that I had even though it was the same audio processor.

You won't have any issues finding a slot for an aftermarket audio card whether it's PCI or PCI-e, because the 2950 is supposed to be a double slot cooler which will leave with you with room for a PCI and PCI-e a card.

Another thing to think about is whether or not you'll want any other add on cards later on. Maybe a physics card or extra do-dad might not be able to apply to you if you've got a certain audio card in it's place.

I think your best bet it to get the board and see for yourself OR, find a review that compares the 2 side by side. I doubt you'll find a review like that yet.

I should be getting my board in a few days so bump this post and I'll get back to ya'.

General_Disturbance

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
Cheers man, thanks a lot. I am starting to think I will just get the Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum. Many games say they are optimized for it, so, I think its a safe bet.

robl756

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I have the Asus Maximus Formula SE, and it has the SupremeFX2. I DO use it, if fact, I used it leiu of a NEW Creative Audigy ZS 2 Gamer I had laying around. The supreme 2 works quite well. Very good on the highs, no clicking popping, good software suite. As good as Creative's suite of sound control software / recorders. I DO NOT do gaming, but, I do a lot of audio input, conversion, modification, etc. I would not use this card were it even CLOSE to being one of the standard old AC97 codecs that all seem to be so close to being 150 cents worth of standard onboard JUNK!

Rob
P.S. I, unlike so many, do NOT know it all, or even most of it. So, take my review as it is meant, MY OPINION!