[SOLVED] Question bout storage spaces and complete reinstalls

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Can I take 2drives one being of larger capacity and make a storage space for speed/performance but only for a partition say 500gb hdd and a 4tb drive 500gb hdd space for increased performance while the rest being used as basic storage having 2 partitions?

Also if can create storage spaces for the above task what happens to these storage spaces if I where to do a complete clean reinstall of windows? (for reference I have a nvme for my main drive the other two are storage hdd)

but your doesn't so me a whole lot of good to ask a question with people replying with what I think are kinda silly questions and doesn't really answer my question but anyways

Last edited:
Solution
the 500gb drive and the 4tb drive are two seperate drives so I think with storage spaces I should be able to get twice the performance
creating a 500GB partition on the 4TB drive would mean that when the storage space on the other 3.5TB was being accessed then whatever you were using the 500GB to do would be affected and may only operate at up to 50% of the drive's rated speed.
also the read/write speeds would be slowed down on the 3.5TB partition because the 500GB partition is also in use.

if using the 500GB disk instead, when accessing the 4TB drive both drives would still be operating at 100% of their rated speed.
make a storage space for speed/performance
what do you mean by speed/performance?
all partitions on a disk are going to run at the same rated speed.

you can create and use as many partitions as you want on each disk and store whatever you want there but it won't have any affect on system performance.
mostly this would just be for organization of file types, libraries, etc.
what happens to these storage spaces if I where to do a complete clean reinstall of windows?
nothing changes if you disconnect them when performing a fresh install they will still be exactly as they were beforehand.

if you leave them connected during a fresh install it's possible that Windows will create system partitions on one or more connected drives that will tie them to system functionality.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
If I use windows 10 storage spaces and create what's called a simple pool for increased speed performance using 2 hdd can I make only part 500gb one partition with the other 3.5tb open for storage using a 4tb and 500gb hdd

Is my understanding this is done to increase speed readd write ect

can I make only part 500gb one partition with the other 3.5tb open for storage using a 4tb and 500gb hdd
if you already have a 500GB HD why would you want to create a 500GB partition on the 4TB HD to use?
just use the 500GB disk for this purpose and keep the 4TB separate for extra storage.
Is my understanding this is done to increase speed readd write ect
unless you are using multiple systems on a network that will be sharing this drive space i don't think there will be any benefit from using Windows Storage Space pools.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Cause the 500gb drive and the 4tb drive are two seperate drives so I think with storage spaces I should be able to get twice the performance but not sure if can partition it being its like a software raid to my understanding am wonderin if can be used to make multiple partitions one for storage on for performance using two drives

the 500gb drive and the 4tb drive are two seperate drives so I think with storage spaces I should be able to get twice the performance
creating a 500GB partition on the 4TB drive would mean that when the storage space on the other 3.5TB was being accessed then whatever you were using the 500GB to do would be affected and may only operate at up to 50% of the drive's rated speed.
also the read/write speeds would be slowed down on the 3.5TB partition because the 500GB partition is also in use.

if using the 500GB disk instead, when accessing the 4TB drive both drives would still be operating at 100% of their rated speed.

Solution

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Well there's bennifit if I'm thinkin of getting a new drive why wouldn't i want the best possible storage solution with the best possible versatility at the best possible price

If with one 4tb drive I can create a partition to put a backup on while creating a windows storage space the same size as my 500gb hdd for performance games ect while having space left over for more storage I have a nvme drive but at 500gb I only keep games I'm actively playing on it,

I'm not certain on this but Microsoft windows storage spaces you can either use for performance or parity /mirror is this anything like raid idk but I'd assume so from what I read on Microsoft page

USAFRet

Titan
Well there's bennifit if I'm thinkin of getting a new drive why wouldn't i want the best possible storage solution with the best possible versatility at the best possible price
A RAID 0 between a 500GB drive and a 500GB partition on a 4TB drive is NOT "the best possible storage solution ".
Indeed, quite the opposite.

For performance, a 1TB SATA III SSD crushes that RAID 0/Storage spaces thing, with far far less hassle and fail complexity.

Leave the 4TB HDD for backups or other long term storage.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
(updated I didn't see ur msg Jonbon yes I kinda figured as much so I guess then this would work just isn't optimal wich is fine with me I like never use my storage anyways but as far as a performance partition I would use that much more the rest just sits there so don't really need both partitions to be fast or avaible 100percent of the time for use as I either am working on one project backing up or restoring games to my m.2 drive or storing documents pictures video ect and backups and the 500gb would serve as extra space for active games (backed up as well of course)

My isp only provides 1.2tb download per month and since I may need to get more storage anyways and we'll 1.2tb is barly enough to watch sling for a month

That answers my question though as I'm assuming that means yes I can setup a spindal drive this way

I know you can make a simple, mirror, 2mirror or parity Microsoft storage space each with there own bennifits as far as I know you can partition storage spaces unlike raid but that it essentially works exactly like raid from my understand

But wasn't 100percent sure bout the partitioning of virtual raids essensltly but anyways all good will just have to do some testing I suppose

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I'm guessing doesn't anyone here know exactly how Microsoft windows storage spaces actualy work I know you can make a simple, mirror, 2mirror or parity Microsoft storage space each with there own bennifits as far as I know you can partition storage spaces unlike raid but that it essentially works exactly like raid from my understand

But wasn't 100percent sure bout the partitioning of virtual raids essensltly but anyways all good will just have to do some testing I suppose
Mirror is similar to a RAID 1.
Spanned is similar to a RAID 0 striped.

Neither of those, either native Storage Spaces or RAID, is a good choice for what you're looking do do.