[SOLVED] Question: Can a blower gpu run without the shroud, with good airflow?

Nov 18, 2020
I Just bought a rtx 2080 ti with no io shield and no shroud. I can find the io shield online but cannot find a shroud for it. My question is can i use the gpu without the shroud? I have a big fan on the outside of my case blowing air into it through holes so I think there's enough airflow to cool off the heatsync but not sure. I understand the shroud is a integral part of the blower design and to my knowledge when you take the shroud off the fan becomes pretty much useless. If anyone has an answer that would be awesome or happens to have a 2080 ti blower shroud lying around I can buy lol.
Here is a picture of the card:
11b9ef1a2b3c49858a37833d3acf47ba.png

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
The blower cards need a path of airflow. It will lose efficiency without a shroud. Id take the opportunity to improve the card. There’s aftermarket heat sinks and fans. Or even water kits. With some mods it will run cooler and quieter. Even if you stick with the same heatsink you could mount a new 80mm noctua fan over it, and disconnect the radial fan.

Nov 18, 2020
The blower cards need a path of airflow. It will lose efficiency without a shroud. Id take the opportunity to improve the card. There’s aftermarket heat sinks and fans. Or even water kits. With some mods it will run cooler and quieter. Even if you stick with the same heatsink you could mount a new 80mm noctua fan over it, and disconnect the radial fan.
I was thinking about just taking a 2080ti shroud off of a normal non blower card and attach it onto the card. But maybe I could do the noctua fan idea, ill look into it. Thanks for the quick reply.

Nov 18, 2020
No problem, with a little messing around I bet you could get something better than reference... or even aftermarket!
Yea after looking into the card more, it has a reference pcb, so does that mean I can just pull off the heatsync thats on it and replace it with a heatsink off a 2080ti with a reference pcb as well?

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Solution