Question for a new pc build

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Hello I have a question,

I currently have a prebuilt pc with windows 8.1. I have bought all the parts and want to just put my SSD drive into the new pc. I've read posts online and from what I can gather is you can't just swap the SSD because of the hardware that is installed on the exsisting computer. It won't recognize the new hardware and apparently won't install new drivers. So my question is am I stuck with buying a whole new os? Or can I just do a fresh install of windows?

The OS did not come on a disc it was already on the prebuilt pc.

Thanks.

Solution
Your prebuilt PC almost certainly came with an OEM copy of Windows which is locked to the original PC's motherboard. You will need a new activation key for your new PC. Depending on your luck, you may still need to re-install the OS due to driver conflicts between drivers from the original systems and hardware in your new system.

InvalidError

Titan
Your prebuilt PC almost certainly came with an OEM copy of Windows which is locked to the original PC's motherboard. You will need a new activation key for your new PC. Depending on your luck, you may still need to re-install the OS due to driver conflicts between drivers from the original systems and hardware in your new system.

Solution

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Yes it did come on the pc. I never bought a separate copy of windows. So my question is since it's locked into the motherboard, will a fresh install of windows on my SSD into the new computer work? Or do I need to buy a whole different copy of windows?

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017

As long as you aren't changing the motherboard, you can use the Windows disk that they should have sent you to install Windows on an SSD. Digital licensing from OEMs have the key tied to the motherboard, so when Windows is installed it should automatically activate.

EDIT: Didn't read. It doesn't come with a disk, so most likely you're SOL. You could try getting a ISO on a USB stick and installing it, but mileage may vary on that. Pretty sure you're going to need a new activation key.

InvalidError

Titan
As I have already stated, you will need a new key/license for the new PC/motherboard. The physical copy of Windows doesn't matter as you can download the installer directly from Microsoft's download services, the only thing that does is the activation key. You can install Windows a million times using the same installation media as long as you have as many product keys or a site license for that many seats.

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Actually another question, can I use a new product key for windows 10 and install it and have it install fresh drivers and such and keep all my old files? Or is the fresh install of windows where I'm going to need to go?

InvalidError

Titan
If you install your SSD in your new PC, you'll get prompted to activate Windows and when that fails because your old key doesn't match your new motherboard, you'll get asked for a new product key, that's where you "install" your new key, no actual OS re-installation is required for that.

What you may end up needing a re-install for is leftovers from your previous motherboard's drivers making the system unstable.