question for Ben

Ben ;-

The floppy drive on a dell Dimension is my concern
It may also apply to other systems

The one sold by Dell has no front bezel/plastic front
Can a regular floppy be used if the front plastic plate and plastic button
are removed

Or is there something that I am missing

I have done this on a compaq and it worked
Do you know about Dell

Their floppy drives are not cheap

Yes, more or less. I have spent a lot time farting around with different makes
and models of floppy drives to find one that would fit and work flawlessly in
IBM, Dell, HP, or Compaq computers. Removing the plastic front bezel is not
usually a problem. What remains after one removes the button from a more
generic drive must fit perfectly with the push-button mechanism on the front
panel of the computer chassis. It helps if you have a sample of maybe 100
floppy drives to choose from. The best matchup of a generic floppy drive
usually is one which is the same make as the one being replaced.

.... Ben Myers

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 08:24:37 -0400, "metronid" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote:

>Ben ;-
>
>The floppy drive on a dell Dimension is my concern
>It may also apply to other systems
>

>The one sold by Dell has no front bezel/plastic front
>Can a regular floppy be used if the front plastic plate and plastic button
>are removed
>
>Or is there something that I am missing
>

>I have done this on a compaq and it worked
>Do you know about Dell
>

>Their floppy drives are not cheap

Thank you
I am sure I can find a match if not a good mismatch

> Yes, more or less. I have spent a lot time farting around with different
makes
> and models of floppy drives to find one that would fit and work flawlessly
in
> IBM, Dell, HP, or Compaq computers. Removing the plastic front bezel is
not
> usually a problem. What remains after one removes the button from a more
> generic drive must fit perfectly with the push-button mechanism on the
front
> panel of the computer chassis. It helps if you have a sample of maybe 100
> floppy drives to choose from. The best matchup of a generic floppy drive
> usually is one which is the same make as the one being replaced.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 08:24:37 -0400, "metronid" <metronid@comcast.net>
wrote:

> >Ben ;-
> >
> >The floppy drive on a dell Dimension is my concern
> >It may also apply to other systems
> >

> >The one sold by Dell has no front bezel/plastic front
> >Can a regular floppy be used if the front plastic plate and plastic
button
> >are removed
> >
> >Or is there something that I am missing
> >

> >I have done this on a compaq and it worked
> >Do you know about Dell
> >

> >Their floppy drives are not cheap

TRENDING THREADS