Question Question for dual 360MM radiator fan orientation

candymancan

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
So i built my system back in 2017 with a 1080ti and 2700x and x470 motherboard and so forth back in 2017.. I spent $1100 on the watercooling setup just by itself, this includes the 11 Thermaltake Ring plus fans, and the two EK 360mm radiators, connectors, tubing, coolant, the EK reservoir and pump, and the secondary reservoir. Three EK cpu waterblock and the 1080ti waterblock.

Why did i spend so much on cooling? Well, ive been watercooling for 25 years now, back when some of you probably werent born HAHA, back then we used pond pumps, car heatercores and had waterblock made by dangerden.com.. I used that stuff for well 22 years.. recycling the waterblock all the way from my Athlon xp to my Intel e8700 cpu, i just modded the mounting system... So for 22 years i didnt spend a dime on cooling anything.. So i think i deserved the whole 1100$ upgrade.

Anyway, its been 5 years, 3 years ago i got a x570 and 3800x, i just upgraded the cpu to a 5800x 3d, and i sold my 1080ti and got a 6900xt with waterblock for $600. The way i have my setup is i have one 360mm in front of the case "a thermaltake view 71 case" with 6 of the thermaltake ring fans on it, 3 pushing in, 3 pulling into the case. Then i have this loop going to the reservoirs/pump, and it goes into the cpu, then from the cpu directly above the 2nd 360mm radiator, with 5 fans, 2 140mm fans, and 3 RING fans, this setup is actually pulling air from on top of the case down into the case. So both radiators are blowing into the case, then i have 2 ring fans on the bottom of the case also blowing in, and then 1 140mm fan blowing out the back top of the case.

The reason i did both radiators blowing in, versus the front blowing in, and top blowing out. Was because i figured that the top radiator blowing out would just be sucking in the hot air in the case, and hot air from the first radiator right into itself. Kind defeating the point of cold air on the radiators. This also creates a positive air pressure in the case, with all these fans blowing in, and 1 exhaust fan blowing out the back. However with the 6900xt and 5800x3d.. the heat the both put off is immense compared to the 1080ti and 3800x. I also kept my fan profile to quiet so they didnt really increase to max speeds.. But this 5800x 3d gets to 80-90c after playing games for 2 hours in a closed room like this. I opened the case and it was full of really warm air. I dont think i have enough exhaust fans, and the radiators blowing hot air inside the case seems excessive with 1 exhaust fan.

Now this case is a "open" case to where all the glass surrounding it is extended out by 1/2 an inch or so.. So air is never really "trapped" in the system. I decided to change my fan XMP profile and now the fans kick on 100% at 70c, and doing this, my cpu temp dropped from 80-90 to 68-73c when gaming, and the case cooled down quiet a bit too due to the positive pressure and the open glass panels.. But my question is this.. should i keep it like this ? Or should i also change the top radiator fans to blowing air out..., again the reason i didnt do this was because that will just mean the fans are sucking the hot case air and air from the first radiator.. right into itself.. basically negating the cooling effect the first radiator did.. seems kinda pointless to blow hot air on a radiator doesnt it ? Yes i know hot air rises, but this is air thats moving.. not sitting, so that has no role here.

Last edited by a moderator:
should i keep it like this ?
4 out of my last 5 builds have used top mounted radiators in the exhaust position and i have never experienced the heated exhausted air reaching the front intake fans.
this heated air always evacuates the area surrounding the system by traveling up and away, never down and back in.

my CPU currently idles ~30°C, maxes in very intensive games in the low 60s°C @5.2GHz.
GPU idles ~35°C, maxes in the mid 60°Cs.
you can see an image of my fan/radiator configuration in my signature.

i also always keep a low positive pressure with only a bit more intake than exhaust.
if the air doesn't have a chance to quickly and easily exhaust then it will just continue to cycle throughout the components getting constantly warmer and collecting in any crevices or enclosed areas.
many will state that a long as there is enough positive pressure that the warm air will find a way out but the longer it hangs around the warmer everything gets.

of course if this is a big open air case then keeping a very high positive pressure may help with dust buildup.
that depends on the type of filters installed on the intake fans though.
it may not really make much of a difference if dust can just be pulled directly in to begin with.

candymancan

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
No i have two 360mm, one in front blowing in, one on top blowing in.. reason i did top in, was i figured if i blew out the top, than the front radiators heat would just go right up through the top radiator blowing the heat it just got rid of back on the top radiator. thats why i was wondering should i keep the top blowing in, or maybe have it blowing out... Just not sure

Its a thermaltake view 71, a huge case with glass plates everywhere, and all the plates are mounted "open" with 1/2 inch gaps between itself an the case. So air comes in from everywhere. or blows out from everywhere. Dust isnt a huge concern.. but with positive pressure like i have it i noticed there is 0 dust in the case. But again with two radiators, one in front blowing in, should the top blow out.. if it blows out then all the hot air from the front radiator will just blow out the top radiator.. wouldnt that negate the purpose of a 2nd radiator ? Thats why i have both blowing in, but i noticed my case is pretty toasty inside like this. So maybe im heating up my tubing and reservoirs ? no idea

Last edited by a moderator: