Question for medium game laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra777

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
1_What is your budget?

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Preferably 15-16 inch

3_What screen resolution do you want?
moderate, not low

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Well I have a desktop but I want something that I can take places and still use. So a little of both

5_How much battery life do you need?
2 hours would be nice for classes.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Mainly used for WoW, would like medium settings.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
I plan on watching a few movies but not a big deal. I mostly use for word processing other than wow.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
250-320, preferably 7200rpm

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
I'm open to anything, I trust newegg.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-3 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Just a DVD ROM would do.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I have a dell right now but would like to go away from them, I trust any of the name brands like ASUS and HP. I'm not too sure about Sager and Prostar even though I see them as being cheaper laptops but I'm wondering if theres a build quality issue about them thats making them cheaper.

13_What country do you live in?
USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I have two in consideration right now that look good but are from brands I've never had experience with. Here are the links: Sager Prostar Note that the prostar didnt save the configuration with the link provided. I chose to upgrade the CPU to P8700 2.53GHz, 4gb of ram, 320gb/7200rpm hdd, and wireless lan card.

Any other suggestions or comments on if those are good laptops or have a funky build or any other laptops more well known that would match those and keep within price range?

Solution
Those two laptops are actually the same unit. They are built by a company called Compal and resold through companies like Sager, Xotic and Prostar. I've never used a Compal unit before so I can't really comment on the quality. Most of the other Sager branded laptops are built by a company called Clevo and they have very good quality. Most of those units are out of your price range though.

Asus makes some pretty good laptops and these three would be decent choices: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...220634&page=4&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True

With the N61 and K61 you are going to loose a little bit of performance with the...
Those two laptops are actually the same unit. They are built by a company called Compal and resold through companies like Sager, Xotic and Prostar. I've never used a Compal unit before so I can't really comment on the quality. Most of the other Sager branded laptops are built by a company called Clevo and they have very good quality. Most of those units are out of your price range though.

Asus makes some pretty good laptops and these three would be decent choices: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...220634&page=4&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True

With the N61 and K61 you are going to loose a little bit of performance with the graphics card, but the rest is pretty much the same. The N81 is actually a 14'' unit, but it's specs are identical to the unit you were looking at.

Solution
I have a dell right now but would like to go away from them, I trust any of the name brands like ASUS and HP. I'm not too sure about Sager and Prostar even though I see them as being cheaper laptops but I'm wondering if theres a build quality issue about them thats making them cheaper.

I have 6 ProStar laptops, every one of them is built on a chassis supplied by Clevo. HP doesn't make laptops, neither does Dell, Toshiba, Gateway or most anyone else you ever heard of. All their stuff is made by ODM's like Clevo, Compal, Inventec, etc:

* Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM - note that Quanta is currently (as of August, 2007) the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world.
* Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
* Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
* Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
* ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
* Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
* Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and BenQ.
* Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu.

MSI and Asus are 2 that come to mind that the average consumer might have heard of.

You can read about Clevo more here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=91510

dwellman

Splendid
Dec 14, 2002
I don't know. . Dell Studio 1555 was the first thing that crossed my mind, but since Dell is to be avoided. . . I saw Asus K61IC-X4 at Buy.com for a stinking low price ($650), but it's sold out now. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS