[SOLVED] Question for x570/b450 tomahawk MAX owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

juliolu

Honorable
Jul 1, 2017
Hello all. I just got a ryzen 3700x (my 1st amd cpu) and now i need get a mobo. I'm thinking in get b450 tomahawk MAX or x570 gaming plus (MSI). If you have some of those mobos, i would like to hear about them:

For X570:
  • Can you remove the chipset fan (for replacement/cleaning)? How easy is?
  • How are the temperature of CPU/system?
  • Are you liking the performance of mobo?

For b450 tomahawk MAX:
  • When you builded, is already stable? Or a BIOS update/ revert is necessary?
  • Heard many users having high temps (even in idle) for 3700x. Did you have this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Do NOT consider any MSI MPG line of motherboards (The MSi MEG line is a lot better but they are a lot more expensive)... The VRMS are crap, running 100+ degrees. I sadly bought a MSi Gaming Carbon Pro WiFi (their top MPG motherboard with a 5+2 VRM design) and the VRMs hits 100 degrees under load. The othercheaper MPG motherboards are worse with a 4+2 VRM design, they can hit 120 degrees which is not good for your boards components... The MSi boards are okay with the 65-watt 3700X but if you plan to upgrade to a 105-watt 3800X/3900X or faster, you will have to buy a new board.

I have contacted MSi's tech support and explained the problem. They said they will test a Gaming Carbon Pro WiFi with a 3900X (apparently their support...

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Do NOT consider any MSI MPG line of motherboards (The MSi MEG line is a lot better but they are a lot more expensive)... The VRMS are crap, running 100+ degrees. I sadly bought a MSi Gaming Carbon Pro WiFi (their top MPG motherboard with a 5+2 VRM design) and the VRMs hits 100 degrees under load. The othercheaper MPG motherboards are worse with a 4+2 VRM design, they can hit 120 degrees which is not good for your boards components... The MSi boards are okay with the 65-watt 3700X but if you plan to upgrade to a 105-watt 3800X/3900X or faster, you will have to buy a new board.

I have contacted MSi's tech support and explained the problem. They said they will test a Gaming Carbon Pro WiFi with a 3900X (apparently their support never tested the board with a CPU greater than 65-watts)and see of my complaint is valid and get back in touch with me within 48 hours. It's been over a week and no one and replied to my complaint. later, I got an email saying they were closing the issue and asked if i was satisfied with their response.

Better boards usually run from 60-80 degrees because they have 7+2 or even up to 14+2 VRMs , which is a lot cooler than the MSi lineup... MSi has really screwed up big time.

Solution
Sep 15, 2019
Get the better x570 motherboard, Like the Aorus x570 Elite or the AsRock x570 steel legend. Since you are going with 3700x, you will need better VRM's to have a stable system. Better get a x570 motherboard rather than the B450 Lineup. Some B450 motherboards have better VRM's which you will need to check there power phase and the type of MOSFETS they are using to get the best out of your CPU and better thermals. If are going to overclock the CPU then I buy the x570 motherboards. There are also x570 motherboards with higher price tags, like the ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, AsRock X570 aqua etc.

juliolu

Honorable
Jul 1, 2017
Get the better x570 motherboard, Like the Aorus x570 Elite or the AsRock x570 steel legend. Since you are going with 3700x, you will need better VRM's to have a stable system. Better get a x570 motherboard rather than the B450 Lineup. Some B450 motherboards have better VRM's which you will need to check there power phase and the type of MOSFETS they are using to get the best out of your CPU and better thermals. If are going to overclock the CPU then I buy the x570 motherboards. There are also x570 motherboards with higher price tags, like the ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, AsRock X570 aqua etc.
Aorus x570 Elite is still fine, but over this my wallet cant cover... but thanks. I think i'll get a x570 tuf plus

juliolu

Honorable
Jul 1, 2017

I have contacted MSi's tech support and explained the problem. They said they will test a Gaming Carbon Pro WiFi with a 3900X (apparently their support never tested the board with a CPU greater than 65-watts)and see of my complaint is valid and get back in touch with me within 48 hours. It's been over a week and no one and replied to my complaint. later, I got an email saying they were closing the issue and asked if i was satisfied with their response.

Better boards usually run from 60-80 degrees because they have 7+2 or even up to 14+2 VRMs , which is a lot cooler than the MSi lineup... MSi has really screwed up big time.
Any clue about x570 MSI A Pro or you recommend? Im planning in stay with 3700x for a couple years, so want a reliable mobo.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
The MSI A Pro is a MPG model from MSi, so it is a crappy board as well with only a 4+2 design VRM... The MSi boards to avoid are:
MPG X570 Gaming Carbon Pro
MPG X570 Gaming Edge
MPG X570 Gaming Plus
MPG X570-A Pro

Hello all. I just got a ryzen 3700x (my 1st amd cpu) and now i need get a mobo. I'm thinking in get b450 tomahawk MAX or x570 gaming plus (MSI). If you have some of those mobos, i would like to hear about them:

For X570:
  • Can you remove the chipset fan (for replacement/cleaning)? How easy is?
For b450 tomahawk MAX:
  • When you builded, is already stable? Or a BIOS update/ revert is necessary?
  • Heard many users having high temps (even in idle) for 3700x. Did you have this problem?
Thanks in advance.
Not an X570 owner... but ease of replacement of chipset fans as well as motherboard temp (assuming you mean chipset temp) pretty much depends on the specific mobo. You'll really need to be more specific, I think.

I have to think keeping them clean would be a snap with a blast or two of canned air, just like cleaning any fan is. Just my opinion, though.

Tomahawk Max's come Ryzen 3000-ready out of the box, they're made for them. But any board will need a BIOS update to get the latest AGESA.

Many users have pre-conceived ideas of what the temperature should be and don't always want to operate in a manner conducive to lowering temperatures. Have to be careful when you're reading complaints on the internet.

I am very pleased with temperature of my 3700x on a B450m Mortar, which is essentialy the microATX variant of the B450 Tomahawk. But I am not running with an all-core overclock on a stock cooler either.

juliolu

Honorable
Jul 1, 2017
Not an X570 owner... but ease of replacement of chipset fans as well as motherboard temp (assuming you mean chipset temp) pretty much depends on the specific mobo. You'll really need to be more specific, I think.

I have to think keeping them clean would be a snap with a blast or two of canned air, just like cleaning any fan is. Just my opinion, though.

Tomahawk Max's come Ryzen 3000-ready out of the box, they're made for them. But any board will need a BIOS update to get the latest AGESA.

Many users have pre-conceived ideas of what the temperature should be and don't always want to operate in a manner conducive to lowering temperatures. Have to be careful when you're reading complaints on the internet.

I am very pleased with temperature of my 3700x on a B450m Mortar, which is essentialy the microATX variant of the B450 Tomahawk. But I am not running with an all-core overclock on a stock cooler either.
Yes, mortar is a good mobo. Sadly, only a few options is available where i live (BR). probably i will get a x570 tuf gaming plus (without wifi), hope i wont regret.

Status
Not open for further replies.