Question from someone new to dv stuff

If I want to burn to dvd my camcorder tapes can i use just a external dvd
burner such as HEWLETT-PACKARD HP EXTERNAL DVD WRITER 420e or the like?
Do I need to go through a computer or can I just burn baby burn ;-)

---

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 11:54:16 GMT, "P" <point@maolder.com> wrote:
>If I want to burn to dvd my camcorder tapes can i use just a external dvd
>burner such as HEWLETT-PACKARD HP EXTERNAL DVD WRITER 420e or the like?
>Do I need to go through a computer or can I just burn baby burn ;-)

Tutorials and hardware/software reviews http://www.videohelp.com/

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

There are two methods you could use. The most common is to import your
DV material via firewire into your computer afterwhich you would edit
the video, encode to MPEG, author the DVD and finally burn the DVD.
This assumes you have all the necessary software to perform these
tasks.

Another approach would be to use a stand-alone DVD recorder for use
with a TV and simply attach the S-video output of the camera to the
S-video input of the recorder.

The first approach gives you total control over the edit, effects,
sound tracks and quality. The second approach is simpler but you have
less control and the final DVD quality will be less than that of the
first method.

"P" <point@maolder.com> wrote in message news:<I1cFc.75170$sj4.17864@news-server.bigpond.net.au>...
> If I want to burn to dvd my camcorder tapes can i use just a external dvd
> burner such as HEWLETT-PACKARD HP EXTERNAL DVD WRITER 420e or the like?
> Do I need to go through a computer or can I just burn baby burn ;-)
>

> ---

Thanks for the replies

---

jgayman said:

>>Another approach would be to use a stand-alone DVD recorder for use
with a TV and simply attach the S-video output of the camera to the
S-video input of the recorder.>>

But some stand alone recorders have DV in and out and in that case, use that
rather than the S-video.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"P" <point@maolder.com> wrote:

>If I want to burn to dvd my camcorder tapes can i use just a external dvd
>burner such as HEWLETT-PACKARD HP EXTERNAL DVD WRITER 420e or the like?
>Do I need to go through a computer or can I just burn baby burn ;-)
>

>---

You need to use software on your computer to copy your camera tapes to
a DVD burner.
Check out the HEWLETT-PACKARD HP EXTERNAL DVD WRITER on the web site
as it may have a way of connecting your camera to it, just like
printing photos to a printer without using the computer.
I'd suggest using Ulead DVD MovieFactory 3 as it can copy a video tape
directly to a DVD writer. www.ulead.com

Regards Brian

The quality shouldn't be much different. But in the latter model, all
you're doing is making a dub of the original, rather than cleaning it up by
editing/color correcting/etc.

Randy