Question: I have 2 exsting hdd ....smaller hdd GB with WD 10 and larger GB that has WD 7. Can i clone the smller hhd (wd10( to

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenwenn

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Current I have 1TB HDD with windows 7. I just bought a new PC (300 GB HHD) and upgraded to WD 10..which is very cool by the way.

I would like to know what will happen if i clone the WD10 HHD to WD 7 HHD?
Would i be running WD 10 on the 1TB HHD/ Will all exisiting programs, docs pix..etc still be saved in the exisiting 1TB HDD?

Sorry..not so tech savvy and hope you understand or get an idea regarding my question.
Thank you

Solution
Yeah, in case you clone your Win 10 drive onto your other one, the other one should run Win 10 as well.
Regarding your other issue, you can go to Resource Monitor and see whether there is high usage of something and what is causing it: RAM, HDD, etc. Sometimes, Win 8.1 causes some 100% disk usage issues. If this is the case, you can try to disable several Windows services. Check this out: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2027511/windows-disk-usage-100-problem.html
There are some software tools that could test your RAM as well.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD
Hi there tenwenn,

Yes, you can clone your Win 10 HDD onto your Win 7 HDD. This will create exactly the same copy of the HDD with all the installations, docs, etc.
Keep in mind that you will need to back up the data stored on the Win 7 HDD(1 TB) before that, as the cloning process will wipe the data.

Let me know in case you have some more questions,
D_Know_WD

tenwenn

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

Thank you. So after it is done, the 1TB will be running WD10 correst..since it is the newest version of windows?
That will be my goal.

tenwenn

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

I have another issue..windows 8.1 with 4ram running like a snail...not responding quickly. I did the sfc /scannow and nothing seems to be running/responding on the command prompt screen..just blinking cursor after I typed in sfc /scannow
any suggestion?
Thanks

Yeah, in case you clone your Win 10 drive onto your other one, the other one should run Win 10 as well.
Regarding your other issue, you can go to Resource Monitor and see whether there is high usage of something and what is causing it: RAM, HDD, etc. Sometimes, Win 8.1 causes some 100% disk usage issues. If this is the case, you can try to disable several Windows services. Check this out: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2027511/windows-disk-usage-100-problem.html
There are some software tools that could test your RAM as well.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.