[SOLVED] Question in regard to 3 x 8 pin power cable management

mjbn1977

Distinguished
So, I am planning to get a MSI RTX 3080 Trio Gaming X as soon as they get available. I ordered a new RM850x PSU in order to have enough power (upgraded from a RM650x). The PSU will arrive this week and I am planning to install the PSU next weekend and basically rewiring all power cables to make in real nice and neat in regard to optics and airflow.

Here are my questions, big dilemma: the PCI express cables that are coming with the Corsair PSU are cables with dual (6+2) connectors. I would like to have for each PCIe plug on the card a separate cable that gets connected do its own PSU PCIe 6+2 output plug. But if I do this, I would have 3 additional 6+2 plugs hanging lose around in my case close to the graphics card.

1. Question: would it be ok to use two cables instead of three and use both plugs from one dual connector cables and one from the other. But in that case I would have 2x 8pins connected to one PCIe PSU output plug. Is it better to have each 8 pin PCIe on the card its own 8pin PSU plug, or is it ok if two 8pin plugs on the card share one plug on the PSU?

2. Or should I order cables with only PCIe powercables with only one 8pin plug each. In that case, can anyone recommend some good quality PCIe power cables?

3. How do you guys do you cable management with 3 x 8 pin video cards (anyone has any experience with that?)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
If you want 3x 8 pin cables without additional unused 6+2 connectors hanging around, then order a set of custom cables from one of the aftermarket suppliers like CableMod, Mainframe customs, ModMyMods or even directly from Corsair. That way you can get custom sleeved cables AND cables that ONLY have the desired connectors on them, all at the same time. Yes, it's an expense, but if you're that picky about whether there are additional connectors and the aesthetics of the thing, then it's something you simply have to be willing to swallow in order to get it.

So far as I know, there is no other way to do it such as stock cables custom made for single connectors.

Mainframe customs is the best in the business. There is no higher quality...
If you want 3x 8 pin cables without additional unused 6+2 connectors hanging around, then order a set of custom cables from one of the aftermarket suppliers like CableMod, Mainframe customs, ModMyMods or even directly from Corsair. That way you can get custom sleeved cables AND cables that ONLY have the desired connectors on them, all at the same time. Yes, it's an expense, but if you're that picky about whether there are additional connectors and the aesthetics of the thing, then it's something you simply have to be willing to swallow in order to get it.

So far as I know, there is no other way to do it such as stock cables custom made for single connectors.

Mainframe customs is the best in the business. There is no higher quality really that I know of. CableMod is pretty good too, depending on which quality level and wire gauge set you order.

Using two connectors on one cable and one connector on another cable would be fine too, but obviously, will still result in one additional unused connector, but it would work perfectly fine.

Nobody has any experience managing 3x 8 pin connectors because aside from multiple card configurations, there hasn't been any need to DO that before except maybe for cards like the R9 290x2 that required four 8 pin connectors in which case you simply used all four connectors on two cables.

It's pretty simply really. Get custom cables or deal with having unused connectors hanging out in the open. Or clip the unused connectors off and then shrink tube the ends of the clipped cables so that there is no chance of them coming in contact with anything. There are ways to do it which you can research and find, that will allow you to do that and make it look ok. Personally, I'd just make my own custom sleeved cabled or buy them in custom made set.

Reactions: Nick T.
Solution

mjbn1977

Distinguished

Mainframe customs is the best in the business. There is no higher quality really that I know of. CableMod is pretty good too, depending on which quality level and wire gauge set you order.

Using two connectors on one cable and one connector on another cable would be fine too, but obviously, will still result in one additional unused connector, but it would work perfectly fine.

Nobody has any experience managing 3x 8 pin connectors because aside from multiple card configurations, there hasn't been any need to DO that before except maybe for cards like the R9 290x2 that required four 8 pin connectors in which case you simply used all four connectors on two cables.

It's pretty simply really. Get custom cables or deal with having unused connectors hanging out in the open. Or clip the unused connectors off and then shrink tube the ends of the clipped cables so that there is no chance of them coming in contact with anything. There are ways to do it which you can research and find, that will allow you to do that and make it look ok. Personally, I'd just make my own custom sleeved cabled or buy them in custom made set.

Thank you for the reply. You basically answered all questions.

So, you think I should be fine using 2 cables instead of 3? In that case I will use try it first with 2 dual connector cables and see if I can tuck the extra connector nicely away with some zip ties. So, there is no downside in using 2 vs. 3 cables?

If for whatever reason I don't like it I can still go with aftermarket cables from mainframe customs.

Yes, the only reason you would need to NOT use just two cables, would be if the aesthetics of the thing bother you. Otherwise, that's perfectly fine. If there was a problem using both sets of connectors on the same cable then every major power supply manufacturer that exists wouldn't put them out there like that. It's true that there are a lot of numbskull cabling and adapter options out there, but you can be sure that none of the ones that are unsafe are being sold by Seasonic, EVGA, Corsair, Antec, Super Flower, FSP or any of the other big players.

And yes, that is always an option, to change it LATER if you are unhappy with the way it looks visually. Keep in mind though, those RMx units use in line capacitors to reduce ripple, much like most do these days, and any aftermarket cables you get are NOT going to have those in line capacitors, so there will be a SLIGHT uptick in ripple on pretty much any power supply you add custom sleeved cables to if it is a model that used any form of in line capacitors in it's cables. And most of them DO do that these days. But it is not enough to be seriously concerned about unless you are going to run a system fantastically close to the edge of it's capacity, a lot, with big overclocks configured on your hardware. Even then, a lot of builders, modders, gamers and overclockers still use these capacitor free custom sleeved cables on systems that ARE configured like that, but they simply make sure they get a unit that is going to be firmly in the 50-60% of capacity range at full usage so that it's in the very best range of it's ripple performance and minimizes the effect of any uptick in ripple due to the lack of capacitors.

Mostly it's a non-issue, but you DO want to just be aware of it.