Question : Manged switches for Dual wan and QOS

alz3abi

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Hi guys,

I would like to explain my requirement and i hope i can get some assistant on finding good products (switchces) that can solve my issues.

im looking for a switch for small business (INTERNET cafe) with up to 50~ ports , what im looking for i want to subscribe two different INTERNET plan.

both of the WAN (Internet) will be connected to the switch.

Now the uses of Two different WAN basically not for redundancy or back up , it is for QOS.

WAN 1 deducated for "Streaming , Download , etc)

while

WAN 2 for Games , application ,etc.

is it possible? what solution or technology do i need to look forward in order to satisfy my need?

Solution
If you know specifically the IPs of the streaming/downloading services you want to use then a ubiquiti edgelite router can be configured for dual wan and should be able to set to use ` wan for those IPs and the other for all else.

If you are wanting to torrent or do something else with constantly changing IP or port numbers then even a firewall would have trouble determining traffic before you initiated the session already

kanewolf

Titan
Not with a switch. You would need a router or firewall for decisions at that level of the network stack. You want to dynamically, based on protocol or port, switch from one WAN to another. You might be able to do that for selective WAN IP addresses, say specific game servers. But to know if traffic is an HTTP download vs an HTTP google query is typically a firewall task.

If you know specifically the IPs of the streaming/downloading services you want to use then a ubiquiti edgelite router can be configured for dual wan and should be able to set to use ` wan for those IPs and the other for all else.

If you are wanting to torrent or do something else with constantly changing IP or port numbers then even a firewall would have trouble determining traffic before you initiated the session already

Solution