Question: Mobo temp review

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
a quick query...

im curious about mobo temps, namely, where are they usually taken from?

and if anybody want to could you tell me YOUR temp... and how much it typically differs from your room temp? (deg C please if possible)

my mobo temp is typically 6-8C above room temp with the processor under full load for extended periods of time. i.e. under hot equilibrium.

anyone else?

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

G

Pong.. mine is about 4°C above room temp, or 26°c (thats with a fully loaded and stressed Athllon 1.4. But then I do have 2x92mm Pabst fans on 8v and a dual fan Enermax PSU..)
I have no idea what temperature that is or where it is measured. My DigiDoc reports temps between 22° and 25° inside my case (thermal probe not attached to any component)

CPU temp is around 41°C iddle and 46 max with a Swiftech + 1500 rpm Pabst...All in all a pretty cool and very silent setup.

Speaking of temps.. what is a safe temperature for GPU's ?? I have an old overclocked Geforce MX, and I almost got a heart attack when I attached a DigiDoc probe to the core (no heatsink, let alone fan).. upto 70°C !!!! I think this one really needs an old 486 heatsink... but it runs just fine without. Amazing, not ?

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
2x 92mm pabst huh? get alot quieter with them off?

ive only got to hacked out 80mm holes and 2 3400rpm thermaltakes.

temps sound lovely... by changing mobo's ive sound my temp has dropped by 8C.
hope its due to reseating the HSF and not different position of the diode.

as for GPU temps, 70C full load is not uncommon.
so long as it doesnt crash eh?.

i still remember my old viper 770 with fondness.
tnt2 non ultra, no fans, only on HS.
125/150 stock, i got it up to 157/205!
and after gaming it was hot enough to fry an egg on! seriously... i touched it once and left some skin behind, plus a few choice expletives!

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

G

>2x 92mm pabst huh? get alot quieter with them off?

No. No difference, but then those fans run @8v (I think, could be 10v), resulting in something like 1200 rmp. Pabst fans already are spectacularly silent. @8v they're impossible to hear. Enermax and 2x 7200 rpm harddisks make much more noise.

btw, if you're concerned about noise.. I encapsulated my entire case (inside), my PSU and harddisk bay with cork. That also helps quite a bit.

>get alot quieter with them off?
Im working on a video... kinda like Toms.. to learn premiere and let my DV camera do something usefull.. let me just say this: it seems to work without *ANY* fan. that includes PSU fans, case fans and CPU fan.. with an Athlon 1.4. Its just preliminary testing for a realtive short period so far, and not stressed, but I'll let you know.

As for temps.. the difference from going from one to another board could be anything from the <> thermal sensor, voltage supply, reseating of HSF,... hard to tell. Always take these temps with a grain of salt. Even other BIOS-es can report a few °C more or less.

>as for GPU temps, 70C full load is not uncommon.
>so long as it doesnt crash eh?.

It did crash only once so far (5 weeks).. anyway, any idea on nVidia's specs on this ? Is it rated for 70°+ ?

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with an AMD chip