Question my heatsink

jablaze55

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
My board was loading and I have an error coming up saying CPU fan error, I am thinking that its not reading it as being plugged into the 4 pin connector for the cpu fan however I have one that is a 3 pin connector would it still work if i used the 3 pin instead of the 4pin. or should i just go out and buy cpu fan with a 4 pin connector

jablaze55

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
sorry its an asus M3A "green" using my athlonx2 7850 BE(saving up to get a new one), GeForce 7800 GTX, running so far 2 gigs ram. I guess I"m just wondering if because the heatsink i have now is working if i went and disabled the fan monitoring what would that do the cpu or will it not do much because the heatsink i have is already working.

The three pin fan connector has a third pin to monitor the fan's RPM. Red is power, black is ground, third wire is rpm/speed monitor. The error message is likely related to a fan that is being monitored in BIOS that is not attached or available to be monitored. BIOS is monitoring a fan that is not connected to the MB header and the monitoring mode is turned on. In BIOS, under hardware monitor option, turn off the fan speed monitoring to any fan header that does not have a fan attached to it.

if i went and disabled the fan monitoring what would that do the cpu or will it not do much because the heatsink i have is already working.

The error message is not related to the CPU fan. It's related to a MB fan header that is monitoring the speed of a fan that is not installed to that particular header. Turn off the monitoring function of that MB fan header in BIOS