[SOLVED] Question Need a Good Wifi range Router for a 1200 sq ft house

Anoop_3

Honorable
Oct 7, 2016
Hi,

I need help with purchasing router for my house. I recently moved into a 1200 sq ft apartment and my current router "Mi Router 4C" doesnt seem to cut it with respect to wifi range. I really need the wifi connection to pass through walls or narrow and 90 degree angled hallways/passages

Im on a 100 mpbs connection where i typically get around 80 mbps.

I have a budget of INR 5000 thats around USD 67. Now i was reviewing some routers in that range but then got lost with the number of options out there. Below are some that i came across:

Asus RT-Ac59u - INR 5500 - https://www.amazon.in/Asus-RT-AC59U-Dual-Gigabit-Router/dp/B07Z82WB3V/
TP Link Archer C7 - INR 5000
TP Link Archer A9 - INR 5000
Netgear R6850 Ac 2000 - INR 5850
Im not limiting myself to the above options, but thats all i was able to find in that price range.

Do i need something better for my house than the above options? or can i even go down in budget and pick up a TP Link Archer C60 for INR 2300? Or do i really need to splurge and go for TP link Archer A10 for INR 7000?

I can also get the internet cable to come into each room and set up a basic wifi router or set up an wifi extender in each room. is this a better option?

Im a home user and all i need is a stable internet connection with good range for my TV's in the hall and my 2 bedrooms which will be used to stream 4k content. max 2 TV's will be used simultaneously for viewing 4k content.

Please help me out. I've attached a layout of my house and the router and TV locations which need internet connection. Router is marked as "R"

Last edited:
Solution
The distance the signal goes is based on the radio output power. Almost all large brand routers put out the legal maximum. This means the radio signal will go the same distance.

The problem with coverage is generally your end devices which many times do not put out maximum power. In some ways the problem is that all routers put out maximum power it just means all your neighbors signal interfere even more.

I doubt you will see a big difference in the distance the signal goes between any routers on your list. They may or may not improve over your current router since that too may be maximum. Very tiny changes in things like antenna design can work better in some houses than others. This is impossible to predict since...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

I need help with purchasing router for my house. I recently moved into a 1200 sq ft apartment and my current router "Mi Router 4C" doesnt seem to cut it with respect to wifi range. I really need the wifi connection to pass through walls or narrow and 90 degree angled hallways/passages

Im on a 100 mpbs connection where i typically get around 80 mbps.

I have a budget of INR 5000 thats around USD 67. Now i was reviewing some routers in that range but then got lost with the number of options out there. Below are some that i came across:

Asus RT-Ac59u - INR 5500 - https://www.amazon.in/Asus-RT-AC59U-Dual-Gigabit-Router/dp/B07Z82WB3V/
TP Link Archer C7 - INR 5000
TP Link Archer A9 - INR 5000
Netgear R6850 Ac 2000 - INR 5850
Im not limiting myself to the above options, but thats all i was able to find in that price range.

Do i need something better for my house than the above options? or can i even go down in budget and pick up a TP Link Archer C60 for INR 2300? Or do i really need to splurge and go for TP link Archer A10 for INR 7000?

I can also get the internet cable to come into each room and set up a basic wifi router or set up an wifi extender in each room. is this a better option?

Im a home user and all i need is a stable internet connection with good range for my TV's in the hall and my 2 bedrooms which will be used to stream 4k content. max 2 TV's will be used simultaneously for viewing 4k content.

Please help me out. I've attached a layout of my house and the router and TV locations which need internet connection.
If you have wired ethernet, the ALL stationary devices should be wired. Your TVs, desktops, game consoles -- ALL wired.

Anoop_3

Honorable
Oct 7, 2016
they can be wired to a point, like till the entry points of the window where the electrical sockets are available and a wifi router can be added. but not to the tv's. wouldnt want a cable running through the rooms that way. hence the wifi. plus id also need wifi for mobiles and tablets.

kanewolf

Titan
they can be wired to a point, like till the entry points of the window where the electrical sockets are available and a wifi router can be added. but not to the tv's. wouldnt want a cable running through the rooms that way. hence the wifi. plus id also need wifi for mobiles and tablets.
Streaming 4K on WIFI isn't great in good times. Trying to share WIFI and stream makes everybody unhappy.
Sure, WIFI for portable devices.

The distance the signal goes is based on the radio output power. Almost all large brand routers put out the legal maximum. This means the radio signal will go the same distance.

The problem with coverage is generally your end devices which many times do not put out maximum power. In some ways the problem is that all routers put out maximum power it just means all your neighbors signal interfere even more.

I doubt you will see a big difference in the distance the signal goes between any routers on your list. They may or may not improve over your current router since that too may be maximum. Very tiny changes in things like antenna design can work better in some houses than others. This is impossible to predict since houses are so different. All testing on routers is done assuming a big open room.

Solution