Question on 975 vs P35 mobo

phillyman36

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Hey How does the newer p35 mobo compare to the old 975x mobo? I was thinking about switching my P5w dh deluxe 975 for a P35. Do i gain/lose anything by switching

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Wait for the x38 Motherboards at the end of this month.
You will not get huge games from the P35, but the X38 may help.

Even then, it will likely not be until the PCIE-2.0 GPUs are released until a real gain is seen here.

What is your system? How much are you OCing? Are you hitting a FSB Wall?

phillyman36

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
zenmaster thanks for the reply my rig is as follows

core 2 duo E6600 (not overclocked)
mobo Asus P5W DH deluxe
os dual boot in vista and xp
3 gigs of corsair ram (value ddr2-667)
evga 8600 gts
3 hard drives 150 gig raptor/ seagate 320 gig/ wd 250 gig

i dont really over clock but like the idea tthat in my bios i can overclock by percentages

the only games ive played is command and conq., 3 tiberuim wars an a little Lost planet. Im doing my gaming in xp but im not a hardcore gamer. I mostly do video encoding and dvd burning.

If you are not at your overclocking limits(or wanting a 1333fsb cpu) you will not gain much.

On a plus side i went from the p5w dh to my p35(I switched cause my p5w cause of low fsb, would not even get 1333[333]) ds3r my raid(ICH7r not easy backup) came with...no intervention...it just went.

So if you are happy with your current board there is no gain from swapping

EDIT...
as for what you loose...maybe the WiFi and remote. if you actually use those :)

If you are just planning on plunking everything you have into a new motherboard, forget it. You won't see a difference. The P5W DH Deluxe is a great board (I should know, I have one). You may see some slight differences in synthetic memory benchmarks, but it doesn't translate to real world performance increases. The only real reason to switch would be if you were running CrossFire and you wanted the warm cuddly feeling of running your cards in X16. Your not, so there is no real reason to spend the money. As you said, your not much of a gamer.

If you overclock, the P5W should do some mid level overclocking, I have my FSB at 370. I haven't experimented with trying over 400 (975 has known FSB holes in there straps), but I'm sure it's doable.