Question on a Gigabyte Rocket Cooler

kremer22

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Hey guys. This is probably just my pure idiocy but if you could help it would be appreciated. I recently built 2 identical systems using DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra D mobo's, AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Venice) CPU's, Antec Sonata II cases w/ 430 W PSU, and Gigabyte 3D Rocket Coolers. The CPU fans do not want to kick on at all! The BIOS had them set to kick on >50C. I had yet to see them kick on so I went to the BIOS and checked the CPU temp. It was running at 49C. So I knocked the temp down to 45C and saved. The fans still didn't come on.

Now unless I'm just really, really stupid the blue vortex-looking plastic piece in the cooler is the fan (which is what I've been watching for spinning). Do I need to hook up the extra power plugs on the mobo for the fan to work? Any other suggestions to get this thing going?

P.S.- I'm at work right now which is why I didn't just try hooking up the power connectors. My friend is using his system right now but he's to computer illiterate to figure out the power connectors. Thanks for your help.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
ALL fans require some kind of wires to be plugged in so they can have power.
so if there are dangling wires on your Rocket coolers - then thats probably why they arent spinning. Your motherboard should have a plug labled "CPU Fan" make sure it gets plugged in there.

kremer22

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Sorry. I wasn't specific enough. I've got the 3-pin connector for the CPU fan hooked up to mobo. That's why I'm a little perplexed at this. The power connector I was speaking of is a molex connector on the board. There is one 4-pin hard disk type and one floppy type for 5/12V. I think that they are only needed if running the board in SLI and can't imagine that they should be needed for running this fan.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
If there are no extra wires from the fan that arent plugged in, then you should be okay there.

Im not familliar with your cooler..
Although if it has a fan thats never turned on.. id be worried that its broken. If you got it from a local store, go back & replace it.

The other thing to look for is how many pins are on the fan plug and how many pins are on the motherboard's fan conenctor. for what your describing to work, both of them must have 4. and be plugged in correctly. Most boards ive seen have a little key so its almost impossible to plug them in backwards - check this carefully before returning things.

kremer22

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I'm 100% positive that it's hooked up to the mobo correctly. There's a 3 pin connector from the fan itself that's running to a 3 pin CPU fan connector on the mobo. It is keyed so it can't be reversed. I just can't imagine that we got 2 bad fans from Gigabyte or that we would have gotten 2 bad mobo's from DFI. The other weird thing is that the front LED's for the case are not working either. I've tried reversing the plugs for those and had no success either so maybe there are some bad pins on the board?

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
okay no reversed or missing wires then.

Yeah something sounds fishy.

Indicator lights arent a big deal, but when your cpu fan quits working.. thats a problem.
only other thing that makes sense is some wierd incompatability between the mobo and fan.

can you set your bios to have the fan running ALL the time?

RichPLS

Champion
Negative...

The Rocket Cooler has a silicon board with a female connector like for a floppy drive. Power goes here from the fan controller, which in turn has a floppy power supplied to it, then a 3 pin connector from the fan to the fan header of motherboard for fan speed, not power...
Got it...

All of this is explained in detail if you just RTFM!!!

RichPLS

Champion
Well, if the female is connected properly and your still fiddling with a floppy drive, and you got the fan(boi) situated with a blower header... its all downhill from here :tongue:

kremer22

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Negative...

The Rocket Cooler has a silicon board with a female connector like for a floppy drive. Power goes here from the fan controller, which in turn has a floppy power supplied to it, then a 3 pin connector from the fan to the fan header of motherboard for fan speed, not power...
Got it...

All of this is explained in detail if you just RTFM!!!

Actually, I did RTFM. It didn't say anything about the fan needing extra power. It's a pretty crappy manual. However, I have a new development. I checked everything out on my board and my fan works. No extra power connectors were needed. Thus, I've come to the conclusion that my friend just got a bad fan. I'm going to try the stock cooler in his tonight. Thanks for the help guys!

kremer22

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Yup, turns out a bad fan motor was the culprit here. My fan is humming right along. After replacing his with the stock fan it worked like a charm. The Gigabyte fan required no extra power connections. Only the 3 pin connector for the CPU fan was needed. Now if I can only get Windows to cooperate with me....

Thanks again guys!