[SOLVED] Question on antistatic wristbands

Jul 6, 2019
I wasn't sure where to post this. Please feel free to move it if it better belongs elsewhere.

So, this whole topic about ESD is one great headache for me. Could you please let me know if my line of thinking is accurate, or complete garbage?

So, I was thinking that it makes sense to wear an antistatic wristband that is connected to the ground of an earthed wall outlet (I measured mine with a 2-pole voltage tester and it came out with L-N 230V, L-PE 230V and N-PE 0V, so I assume the earthing is intact; for reference, I live in Germany where the voltage is 230V).

Anyway, if I'm connected to the ground, is it correct to assume that anything around me has either the same or a higher potential than me, and will be brought down to earth potential when I touch it? Meaning that any static electricity that may be on the computer or on a new component would go through me into the ground? And would that be safe for the components? I only keep reading that me transferring static electricity to a component is problematic, but I haven't found anything about the other way round.

I'm aware of the method of connecting the wristband to the computer case, but I can't find an area on the case that is not painted, and I don't really trust that the paint doesn't comprise the conductiveness, and thus the "bond" between me and the case somehow. Also, if I (in this scenario not connected to the outlet) for some reason still have a higher charge on me (I mean, even if I touch a metal pipe or something first, that pipe may not be in my immediate vicinity, and I could build up static electricity while going back, or maybe I'm wearing a piece of clothing that creates static electricity), and I then connect my wristband to the case, wouldn't my charge go into the case, and thus into the components, regardless of whether or not the computer is grounded?

Summary until now: Connecting myself to a grounded PC seems more risky to me than touching my PC while I'm grounded to an earthed outlet.

Now let's assume I connected my wristband to the PC and the PC is not grounded to an outlet (not plugged in). Me and the PC would have the same potential, but that could be anywhere, meaning higher or lower than that of the component I want to pick up (especially if it comes right out an antistatic bag). So, I'd assume that, in this scenario, damage may occur when I pick up the component.

But since a lot of people seem to just connect themselves to the case, and neither themselves nor the PC to the ground, I feel like I might be missing something here.

Bottom line: It's better to connect an antistatic wristband to an earthed wall outlet instead of the PC case - yes or no?

(Apologies if I was using the terms wrong. I'm a noob in this field and not a native speaker.)

Solution
I was mid-typing before Gam3r posted, so I will continue anyway and there will be some overlap.

So, this whole topic about ESD is one great headache for me. Could you please let me know if my line of thinking is accurate, or complete garbage?
As gam3r said, it is quite exaggerated - most people don't bother using wrist straps, they just take simpler precautions, having said that, I also know a few who have ultimately damaged components through static discharge, I always refer to it more as a harness on a crane, if you're sensible, you shouldn't ever need it, but it's only useful should the worst happen. And it's there as a fail safe.

or maybe I'm wearing a piece of clothing that creates static electricity), and I then...
Honestly, the whole ESD thing is exaggerated.
How often do you experience discharges in daily life?
Ive never used a wristband, and Ive never experienced a discharge while working on a PC. Ever.

Its "Better" to be grounded to an earth ground than just a PC case. Connecting to the PC case is the same as touching the case occasionally. However, its not something thats required in almost every situation.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I was mid-typing before Gam3r posted, so I will continue anyway and there will be some overlap.

As gam3r said, it is quite exaggerated - most people don't bother using wrist straps, they just take simpler precautions, having said that, I also know a few who have ultimately damaged components through static discharge, I always refer to it more as a harness on a crane, if you're sensible, you shouldn't ever need it, but it's only useful should the worst happen. And it's there as a fail safe.

or maybe I'm wearing a piece of clothing that creates static electricity), and I then connect my wristband to the case, wouldn't my charge go into the case, and thus into the components, regardless of whether or not the computer is grounded?
Agreed, if you generate static yourself whilst touching the case, technically it will always jsut equalise, whereas connecting yourself directly to a ground will discharge any static generated immediately.

Bottom line: It's better to connect an antistatic wristband to an earthed wall outlet instead of the PC case - yes or no?
I would agree, I actually use an antistatic mat, which is then connected to a grounded wall outlet or an unpainted part of a radiator (which is usually grounded here), then just touch the mat occassionally or keep my components on the mat.

But as stated, as long as you're not rubbing synthetic socks on carpet as you're working on the parts, then you should be fine.

Last edited:
Solution
So, this whole topic about ESD is one great headache for me.
Is a sign of overloading by Internet noise of an overblown issue to a first time builder.

ESD used to be a thing but these days electronics are no delicate flowers. As long as u are not in a dry environment and not swapping your feet on carpet, you are fine.

I watch one guy who makes a living fixing PC, and he simply hook up his strap to the PC's case, no main connection, and he's good. Another utube channel I watch is Linus Tech Tips and he's building stuff all the time and he doesn't use any strap at all. If these people are making a living doing this stuff, us hobbyists are fine.

Your case fully painted? No! A typical case is usually bare with a painted cover on top, so if you are building this thing, you are building with the cover off.

U maybe over-thinking it.

One thing do take care, DO NOT TOUCH CPU PINS, only grap it by the sides. Not only static but also human grease. Wash your hands wit soap before handling CPU/Cooler/Paste recommended.

Best approach, if you don't want to do the wrist strap:

Plug the PC PSU into a verified properly grounded/Earthed mains connector.
Insure that the PSU mains switch is in the "Off" position.
Touch the case of the computer before working on the computer, and occasionally while working on it.
While working on the computer, DON'T:
Pet cats or dogs.​
Scuff your shoes across carpet.​
Rub balloons on your hair, or on your clothing.​
Do experiments with a Van DeGraff generator.​

TRENDING THREADS