Question on charging NIMH batteries

We use NIMH batteries in our Canon A75 digital camera. They work fine and I
normally recharge them when they are just about out of charge.

But, we are going on vacation soon. I would guess that the current batteries
are maybe half-charged. Can I just charge them up now, or would this shorten
the ultimate battery life?

MB

MB_ wrote:
> We use NIMH batteries in our Canon A75 digital camera. They work fine
> and I normally recharge them when they are just about out of charge.
>
> But, we are going on vacation soon. I would guess that the current
> batteries are maybe half-charged. Can I just charge them up now, or
> would this shorten the ultimate battery life?
>
> MB

Battery "memory" is mostly urban legend and not even that for NIMHs.

Charge away.

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:27:31 -0500, "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:

>We use NIMH batteries in our Canon A75 digital camera. They work fine and I
>normally recharge them when they are just about out of charge.
>
>But, we are going on vacation soon. I would guess that the current batteries
>are maybe half-charged. Can I just charge them up now, or would this shorten
>the ultimate battery life?
>
>MB

You can charge them when ever you like, but NIMH batteries have a high
internal discharge rate of 1% a day I have read..

Daniel

Pretty much all rechargeable batteries have the 1 % discharge loss a day.
And you should occasional fully discharge even the NIMH batteries and then
charge them up again. I have had my NIMH batteries for years and they still
perform very well.

Dan