[SOLVED] Question on CPUs choices

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
I'm having a trouble choosing CPUs for gaming and do some coding for next 3-5 years from now on.

My choices are I7-10700, I5-10600K and Ryzen 3700x.

I never have my hand on Ryzen's desktop CPU yet. I only have Ryzen 3750h that gave me a lot of trouble to make it worked properly. And that concern me a lot.
But the price of Ryzen 3700x and the performance is so good with reasonable price that's offering.

My current CPU is I7 3770, so I'm familiar with Intel's. But I'm doubt that between I7-10700 and I5-10600K, both performance are familiar.

So my question on AMD is, Ryzen 3700x worth buying now and will it easy to work with ?
On Intel is, Between these two CPUs which one I should go with?

and what do you guys think I should choose?

Thank you guys so much.

Solution
I would pick any of the CPUs mention in the post 10600K, 10700K, or 3700X.

If you really like intel and if you are not going to OC, then you could even go with the 10700 non-K, save some cash there and put it towards more RAM and fast and bigger storage. Yeah theres a small diference in clocks but if theres no overclocking involved then you shouldn't see a huge performance delta.

What you want, to make use of the fast memory on intel 10th gen, is a Z490 chipset motherboard. Thats the only chipset soo far that allows users to enable the fastest XMP ram profiles.

As for cooling don't cheap out, if you are picking any of this chips and you are a pro coder get a decent cooler, at least a Noctua NH-U12S (theres a black version now that...
I'd choose the 3700x or 10700K between the three for the long term and the gaming performance is a only few frames. Although the 3600x and 10600k are great gaming cpu's as well.

Basically it comes down to budget. Either cpu is fine. The AMD platform will be slightly cheaper, 4000 series cpu capable and PCIe 4.0.

Reactions: RodroX

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I'd choose the 3700x or 10700K between the three for the long term and the gaming performance is a only few frames. Although the 3600x and 10600k are great gaming cpu's as well.

Basically it comes down to budget. Either cpu is fine. The AMD platform will be slightly cheaper, 4000 series cpu capable and PCIe 4.0.
I second what GarrettL said. Honestly it has to do with how many cores you want and what purposes you use your rig for. If you do heavy Photoshop you need a fast single core performing 10600k however if you need more core for live gaming streaming and recording then either 10600k or AMD will do however AMD will cost you much less to build. I personally would go with AMD if your on a budget. If you don't care about money and are willing to spend a bit more on motherboard and CPU then go Intel.

Also as for RAM grabg a 3200Mhz kit if you go Intel and a 3600Mhz to 4000Mhz kit if you go AMD. Just make sure its minium 16GB kit, however I would go with 32GB kit to be future proof and have the RAM act as cache since you have a lot and have apps be blazing fast to open and multitask. ALso make sure you have a AMD. As for PCie 4.0 it is a pointless thing. You will not see a difference in SSD performance or gaming performance. I mean PCie 6.0 is around the corner does that mean a 3080Ti which is not PCie 5.0 even will perform bad. Nope that is not the case. So dont go AMD if you specifically want PCIe 4.0 as it will do nothing for your in real world performance and what not. Good Luck 💯👨🏽‍🦲

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
I second what GarrettL said. Honestly it has to do with how many cores you want and what purposes you use your rig for. If you do heavy Photoshop you need a fast single core performing 10600k however if you need more core for live gaming streaming and recording then either 10600k or AMD will do however AMD will cost you much less to build. I personally would go with AMD if your on a budget. If you don't care about money and are willing to spend a bit more on motherboard and CPU then go Intel.

Also as for RAM grabg a 3200Mhz kit if you go Intel and a 3600Mhz to 4000Mhz kit if you go AMD. Just make sure its minium 16GB kit, however I would go with 32GB kit to be future proof and have the RAM act as cache since you have a lot and have apps be blazing fast to open and multitask. ALso make sure you have a AMD. As for PCie 4.0 it is a pointless thing. You will not see a difference in SSD performance or gaming performance. I mean PCie 6.0 is around the corner does that mean a 3080Ti which is not PCie 5.0 even will perform bad. Nope that is not the case. So dont go AMD if you specifically want PCIe 4.0 as it will do nothing for your in real world performance and what not. Good Luck 💯👨🏽‍🦲
Thank you for replying.
I'm doing a lot of coding. For an android, ios and web apps. So i have to use some kind of VMware to test if it actually work on specific devices.
And i spent most of my time playing game too...

My laptop which is Ryzen 3750h is having a hard time to run Virtual Machines and Docker and lots more that i am unaware of. Probably, Because of the bios settings. I have to disable it when i need it to work and turn back on when i don't. And it's so inconvenient.

That's why I'm concerned about Ryzen's desktop CPUs. I don't know, i also want a future proof build. That will last long like my i7-3770.

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Don't compare ryzen desktop to the mobile u and h series cpu's.
In the hands of laptop manufacturers the tdp limits are heavily locked down because of insufficient cooling.

The desktops have no such issue.
I see. I'll do more research and ask around.
And decide what my next build is. Thank you so much.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I see. I'll do more research and ask around.
And decide what my next build is. Thank you so much.
For what you do I would suggest a Intel build. Grab a 10700k and put in a G.Skill RipJaws 32GB 3200Mhz RAM Kit as it is very cheap and will give you ton of cache for pure raw speed when multitasking or using lots of apps at once. Also of course you want your SSD so bring it over from old build no need to buy a new one or use a M.2 as it's real world performance is on par with SSD and what not except for certain situation like RAID or M.2 transfer to M.2 or M.2 transfer to SSD or multiple SSD. So either SSD or M.2 will do but they will perform the same and WIndows 10 will boot up at same time and games will launch same speed and same with apps. If your going to use a NAS then that is exception however so long as you couple that 10700k, and if I were you get a 10900k for 10 cores 20 threads for future proofing if you decide to do live streaming or record games or if in the future you want to throw in a brand new video card years down the line and thus newer game technology those 10 cores will come into effect. Games are not designed for hyperthreading or AMD's varient SMT however they will be in the future. But with a 10900k your CPU usage in games will be max 60 percent if that coupled with a nice video card. Now if your main concern is the coding like you said then grab the 10600k with 16GB minimum 3200Mhz ram kit and a you can get a motherboard lower end but make sure it is ATX and you have the new socket 1200 for the 10th gen consumer chips. The rest you can move over from your old machine like drives and PSU and case and fans. As for heatsink to use if your not going to overvolt and try for all core high overclocks just buy a Hyper 212 plain as Black is more expensive. Something like Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 would be nice but its 80 dollars and is for heavy overclockers. Any further conerns let me know. Good Luck. 💯🙉

If you really like intel and if you are not going to OC, then you could even go with the 10700 non-K, save some cash there and put it towards more RAM and fast and bigger storage. Yeah theres a small diference in clocks but if theres no overclocking involved then you shouldn't see a huge performance delta.

What you want, to make use of the fast memory on intel 10th gen, is a Z490 chipset motherboard. Thats the only chipset soo far that allows users to enable the fastest XMP ram profiles.

As for cooling don't cheap out, if you are picking any of this chips and you are a pro coder get a decent cooler, at least a Noctua NH-U12S (theres a black version now that looks really good! (https://noctua.at/en/nh-u12s-chromax-black) or similar be Quiet ones. Just make sure it fist inside the case (unless you like or have a decent cooler right now, either tower or AIO liquid).

Solution

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
For what you do I would suggest a Intel build. Grab a 10700k and put in a G.Skill RipJaws 32GB 3200Mhz RAM Kit as it is very cheap and will give you ton of cache for pure raw speed when multitasking or using lots of apps at once. Also of course you want your SSD so bring it over from old build no need to buy a new one or use a M.2 as it's real world performance is on par with SSD and what not except for certain situation like RAID or M.2 transfer to M.2 or M.2 transfer to SSD or multiple SSD. So either SSD or M.2 will do but they will perform the same and WIndows 10 will boot up at same time and games will launch same speed and same with apps. If your going to use a NAS then that is exception however so long as you couple that 10700k, and if I were you get a 10900k for 10 cores 20 threads for future proofing if you decide to do live streaming or record games or if in the future you want to throw in a brand new video card years down the line and thus newer game technology those 10 cores will come into effect. Games are not designed for hyperthreading or AMD's varient SMT however they will be in the future. But with a 10900k your CPU usage in games will be max 60 percent if that coupled with a nice video card. Now if your main concern is the coding like you said then grab the 10600k with 16GB minimum 3200Mhz ram kit and a you can get a motherboard lower end but make sure it is ATX and you have the new socket 1200 for the 10th gen consumer chips. The rest you can move over from your old machine like drives and PSU and case and fans. As for heatsink to use if your not going to overvolt and try for all core high overclocks just buy a Hyper 212 plain as Black is more expensive. Something like Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 would be nice but its 80 dollars and is for heavy overclockers. Any further conerns let me know. Good Luck. 💯🙉

Thank you so much!!
You gave me a lot of thoughts on this.

What about I7-10700 ?
Is it good enough compare with I7-10700K?
I mean i7-10700 is cheaper. In my country, they just discounted the I7-10700 to 320$

I know it can't overclocking. But I'm not planning to overclock them. But asking for a future proof, is I7-10700 is it enough to last for 5 years?

(EDIT: Typo)

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Thank you so much!!
You gave me a lot of thoughts on this.

What about I7-10700 ?
Is it good enough compare with I7-10700K?
I mean i7-10700 is cheaper. In my country, they just discounted the I7-10700 to 320$

I know it can't overclocking. But I'm not planning to overclock them. But asking for a future proof, is I7-10700 is it enough to last for 5 years?

(EDIT: Typo)
For gaming the 10700 will be amazing. However for the future say when you buy a 6080Ti card the ammount of threads on it will hinder performance, but this is way in the future. As for now couple the 10700 with a 1060Ti for 60fps gaming at 1080p locked and turn on nvidia panel options all on and set to max and all AA methods and MSAA etc. In game settings you can put high and some AAA titles to ultra high. Depends on the game. In CS:GO you will get 300FPS. What monitor did you have again if it is 60hz then the 1660Ti is the perfect fit. If you have or want to buy a 144hz monitor in the future then the 1660Ti even at 1080p will struggle to hang with the monitor this is why they have g-sync and freesync so when your frame rate drops things are still smooth and no stutter or lag. If you want a card of today or for today then pair the CPU with the 1660Ti is your best bet, however if you plan on getting or have a 144hz monitor I would recommend you look at the 2070 Super or a 5700XT. Good luck and let me know of any concerns you may have. Good Luck 🙉

Reactions: SteelStruck

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019

As for cooling don't cheap out, if you are picking any of this chips and you are a pro coder get a decent cooler, at least a Noctua NH-U12S (theres a black version now that looks really good! (https://noctua.at/en/nh-u12s-chromax-black) or similar be Quiet ones. Just make sure it fist inside the case (unless you like or have a decent cooler right now, either tower or AIO liquid).

Thank you so much!!
My eyes are on MSI Z490 A-pro.
Its the cheapest Z490 MB and best performance at it prices range, I think.

However the stock cooler from Intel I7-10700 would be enough?

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
For gaming the 10700 will be amazing. However for the future say when you buy a 6080Ti card the ammount of threads on it will hinder performance, but this is way in the future. As for now couple the 10700 with a 1060Ti for 60fps gaming at 1080p locked and turn on nvidia panel options all on and set to max and all AA methods and MSAA etc. In game settings you can put high and some AAA titles to ultra high. Depends on the game. In CS:GO you will get 300FPS. What monitor did you have again if it is 60hz then the 1660Ti is the perfect fit. If you have or want to buy a 144hz monitor in the future then the 1660Ti even at 1080p will struggle to hang with the monitor this is why they have g-sync and freesync so when your frame rate drops things are still smooth and no stutter or lag. If you want a card of today or for today then pair the CPU with the 1660Ti is your best bet, however if you plan on getting or have a 144hz monitor I would recommend you look at the 2070 Super or a 5700XT. Good luck and let me know of any concerns you may have. Good Luck 🙉

Thank you so much!

I have 144hz monitor 1080p and I have 5700XT.

My concern is, if the I7-10700 is actually a future proof for the next gen game?

Because of I7-10700 doesn't come with PCIe 4.0 and now Nvidia just announced their new GPU series that come with PCIe 4.0

That's literally bothering me because I really don't want to miss some great(Maybe) feature that will be more important in the future.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Thank you so much!

I have 144hz monitor 1080p and I have 5700XT.

My concern is, if the I7-10700 is actually a future proof for the next gen game?

Because of I7-10700 doesn't come with PCIe 4.0 and now Nvidia just announced their new GPU series that come with PCIe 4.0

That's literally bothering me because I really don't want to miss some great(Maybe) feature that will be more important in the future.
It is future proof for a couple of years for sure. Even my old 4930k 6 core 12 thread HEDT would run Quake Champions at 2k resolution all settings maxed out and all nVidia panel settings turned on and maxed out and using AA and MSAA etc.. and I would get 180fps but def it would lock in the triple digits sometimes falling to 100fps then shooting back up to 140fps. It is DX11 but still a demanding game with the best graphics and most fun and what not. Def the best FPS game ever IMO. TLDR 🤷🏽‍♂️

Your 5700XT at 1080p with a 144hz monitor is juicy and you will defintely get your 144fps locked with some dips but when it dips below your refresh rate as I said earlier the g-sync or freesync makes it so you don't notice a frame drop and it keeps things buttery smooth with no stutter or lag. The 10700 will do a great job but if I was in your shoes I would defintely look at the 9900k which is 100 dollars off now so you can get it for about 400 ish dollars and a Aorus Elite mobo for 140 dollars and 3200Mhz of RAM is the max for Intel as above that Intel simply doesn't care where as AMD cares a lot about RAM speed and minimum for AMD systems are 3600Mhz to 4000Mhz. Anyhow just because it is 10th generation CPU doesn't mean it is faster then the 9th generation CPU's. It just has a new socket and some tweaks to the 14nm+++ lol. Also it has more cores 10 cores compared to 9900k 8 cores 16 threads. That is the difference both perform the same in games, both being a 10900k and a 9900k. However those 2 extra threads will kick in, in the future but not anytime soon as games only use about 20 to 60 percent CPU usage on these two CPU's.

I would go with the tried and true and guaranteed 5Ghz on all 8 cores 9900k coupled with the motherboard I suggested and G.Skill RipJaws 3200Mhz 32GB Kit if you don't have RAM right now which you do I believe so that isn't a issue. Anyhow any further concerns let me know.

In final I would say if your a hard core gamer and you do general desktop stuff with a touch of video editing with Premiere and use Photoshop then go with the 9900k as it will be better for you believe me. Plus you don't have to spend a arm and leg for the new socket 1200 mobo's. Get what is tried and true as I said 9900k which is 100 bucks off now and a Aorus Elite Z390 board and your good to go with 144FPS gaming easy at 1080p. Good Luck 💯🙏🏽🙉

Thank you !!
Damn, Steve trashing ASrock so hard. (And is not the only reviewer that got horrible results with those boards)
I probably going to get MSI, because it cheapest price. However, those VRM is matter for non-overclocking CPU?

VRM matter as much as the amount of power you want them to deliver. What do I mean with this, it does not matter if you OC or not, what matter is what kind of power input does the chip need.

On the same platform, on the same CPU gen and segment, its no the same "effort" to power a CPU with 6 cores / 12 threads, than to power a CPU with 16 cores / 32 threads. It does nto matter if you OC or not.

A decent VRM should equal to a stable system. And thats also where the airflow and temps inside the case matter too.

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
I'd say the 3700x, if money isn't a problem then the i7 will get you a little bit(we're talking 5-6 frames difference) better experience in video games.

That's why, it is so hard for me to choose.
AMD offers the value prices, but in my area they are slightly difference between AMD and Intel when it comes to the price.
Like 12-14$ difference (B550, Ryzen 3700x and Z490, I7-10700) also AMD using the newer technology something like PCIe 4.0
That seems to be more important in the future, because of Nvidia RTX 3000's announcement.
That's what i really don't want to miss in the near future.
And AMD have more potential when it comes to upgrade. (Ryzen 4 are coming and they don't need a new MB!)

But after what I have experienced Ryzen 7-3750H. It gave me a lot to worry.
Unstable performance, I had to go thru a lot of setting on the bios to make it work properly .
And when in time of coding and VMware test. It need to disabled some setting on the bios to make it work.
I have to turn it back on when I'm done using em. And after a year of using TUF 505-DU, I had to send them back to Asus to repair etc.
It probably wasn't the chip itself, that causing the problem. Maybe the TUF was the problem. Nightmare for me.
(The Asus store told there was something wrong with CPU so they replaced it)

So these are the reason that kind of hold me back to get Ryzen's CPU.
I know it doesn't seem to be fair to compare with Mobile processer and Desktop processer, they are entirely difference (right?).

But I'd like to give it a thought on AMD. I've done a lot of research on the internet and people experiences.

I can't decide which one i should have for my next build.

I know this wont probably help you but on this same forum we had a lot of issues about mobile intel cpus too.

The problem with mobile CPU (as madmatt30 explained) is that they will perform as good or as bad as the corresponding VRM, RAM setup and Cooling Solution of that the notebook in question.

Two identical mobile CPUs of the same brand and model may have huge diference in performance and stability according to how good the system is. A crappy notebook will lead to a crappy performance.

Desktop system are kinda the same but not exactly. Usually the huge case (compared to a notebook) and at least 2 fans inside it (cpu and the typical rear case fan) allows for and airflow that does not exist on notebooks.

As for what platform to pick, right now they are both really even. Yes AMD has the tech advantage with pcie 4.
The new RTX 3xxx cards may or not need for that extra bandwidth but no one knows for sure. Im guessing the highest tier 3xxx cards may be able to get soem advanatge from it but is just a guess.

Intel and vmware have been working togheter for years so its not unusual that is easier to work on a intel platform.

I never tried to created VMs on my "new" Ryzen chip so I can't tell how good, bad, easy or hard is to work with them.

Keep in mind theres always going to be something new on the horizon, now is pcie 4 and perhaps by 2022 will be DDR5, so if you keep waiting or thinking you end up buying nothing lol.

Finally one last thing to add, the RTX 2080TI does not saturate the pcie 3.0 bandwidth.

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Keep in mind theres always going to be something new on the horizon, now is pcie 4 and perhaps by 2022 will be DDR5, so if you keep waiting or thinking you end up buying nothing lol.

Hahaha, yes. I almost give up buying them. I was actually thinking about 2022 DDR5.
But to hell with them, Life is short so I'll upgrade this year.

Aug 22, 2020
I'm having a trouble choosing CPUs for gaming and do some coding for next 3-5 years from now on.

My choices are I7-10700, I5-10600K and Ryzen 3700x.

I never have my hand on Ryzen's desktop CPU yet. I only have Ryzen 3750h that gave me a lot of trouble to make it worked properly. And that concern me a lot.
But the price of Ryzen 3700x and the performance is so good with reasonable price that's offering.

My current CPU is I7 3770, so I'm familiar with Intel's. But I'm doubt that between I7-10700 and I5-10600K, both performance are familiar.

So my question on AMD is, Ryzen 3700x worth buying now and will it easy to work with ?
On Intel is, Between these two CPUs which one I should go with?

and what do you guys think I should choose?

Thank you guys so much.
I would definitely recommend you to go for Ryzen 3700x, its clearly much cheaper for a performance that is similar or even better. if you were to purchase intel, an I5-10600K would be decent and an entry level for high quality gaming. The I7-10700K is really too expensive unless your budget is high. You should actually save that money for more ram, more ssd storage or even an upgrade for a better graphics card.

Aug 22, 2020

So NO Intel motherboards support PCIE e 4.0 ?

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Hi everyone, I just upgraded my PC
Finally, I bought intel i7-10700 non-k.
I'm grateful for y'll help. Thank everyone for the options.

However I run into problems.
My pc suddenly shutdown when I'm starting the game.
But doesn't happen to some game, like Fall Guys

What possibly causing this trouble?
If it was pc temp, shouldn't it show on the bios after it turned back on?

Perhaps you should pick a best answer here, and start a new thead explaining the issue there

Make sure you write down your full system specs list (brand and model of every component). Also state if you did a clean fresh install of Windows 10 and if you downloaded the newest drivers from thier respective sites.

Reactions: max13

TRENDING THREADS