Question on current crashing system with possible new build of Gigabyte Gaming G7, Intel i7 6700k, and trident z 16GB RAM

Ryan_106

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
Hello everyone,

My current build is 6 years old and ever since I updated to Windows 10 it has been crashing like crazy and giving me fits. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue as I have booted from two different hard drives and both of them crash intermittently. Sometimes the motherboard bios doesn't even boot, so I figure it is either the motherboard or RAM.

Anyway here is my current build:
CPU: Intel i7 920 (not overclocked and with stock fan)
GPU nvidia 275 (running to dual monitors, of different size and resolution).
Monitors (3 total, but only 2 in use due to old graphics card crashing in windows 10): not exactly sure of the sizes, but two are the same size and one is slightly smaller. They all use DVI cables
PSU: Corsair TX 850W
RAM: 6GB (3x2GG) OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Gold
Motherboard: ASRock x58 Extreme
Case: Antec 1200 V3
Memory: 125 GB SSD with Windows 10 and applications, 500GB HDD for everything else

I was thinking about upgrading the motherboard and processor, and hey why not also the RAM as well.
My new purchases would be:
MB: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GA-Z170X Gaming 7
CPU: Intel i7 6700k
RAM: Trident Z 16GB RAM (2x8GB) DDR4 3400

I will also need a CPU cooler as this i7 does not come with one. I may try over clocking a little, but this would be my first time. I've looked extensively at the Noctua NH-D15 and like the specs, but the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 looks better to me. My case is all black and the MB is red, white and black so I think the Dark Rock will look a lot better.

I will eventually upgrade the GTX 275, but waiting for Pascall release

My questions are:
- Does anyone know whether the Dark Rock Pro 3 or NH-D15 will fit into my case (Antec V3 1200) with this new build? I will probably only use two RAM slots, but I was hoping it wouldn't cover any of the RAM slots.
- I have three monitors which I will eventually be able to run with a new video card, but currently I have the GTX 275 and it looks like I can run a monitor straight from the MB. Will this set up work (2 monitors on GTX and 1 on the MB)?
- Any suggestions on my crashing issues? I was hoping to just fix it by getting basically a new machine, but I will re-use the PSU, hard drives, and GPU at this time. Should I look at more incremental upgrades?
- Any suggestions on RAM? I was gonna get a slightly cheaper set of Trident Z, but this is a package deal and ended up being the same price. Should I be looking at getting 32GB or should that be a possible future upgrade?

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Solution
1| Both the cooler range between 160-163mm in height while the case has a width of 213mm so anything about 20mm less than the maximum width will be acceptable in your case. Further info:
IMG_0616.jpg

Prolimatech Megahelm's
600x450px-LL-f268f34a_DSCF0399.jpeg

Coolermaster V6GT

2| It's best to hook all of your monitors off your GPU for redundancy and headache's free computing purposes.

3| If we were to touch up on the crashing issue we;d need to delve into the troubleshooting advice's which in essence is a whole new ball game. Though have you thought about reinstalling your OS while making sure your...

Lutfij

Titan
1| Both the cooler range between 160-163mm in height while the case has a width of 213mm so anything about 20mm less than the maximum width will be acceptable in your case. Further info:
IMG_0616.jpg

Prolimatech Megahelm's
600x450px-LL-f268f34a_DSCF0399.jpeg

Coolermaster V6GT

2| It's best to hook all of your monitors off your GPU for redundancy and headache's free computing purposes.

3| If we were to touch up on the crashing issue we;d need to delve into the troubleshooting advice's which in essence is a whole new ball game. Though have you thought about reinstalling your OS while making sure your installer isn't corrupt courtesy of a bootable USB installer? In that respect have you also made sure your BIOS and remaining device drivers are all up to date? I know that the Asrock X58 Extreme has drivers for both Windows 7 and 8/8.1 though I'm not sure it has drivers meant for Windows 10. If there aren't any for Windows 10 you will need to install them in compatibility mode:
Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility tab>Windows 7/8 [from drop down menu]

Windows 10 is quite nitpicky regarding what components it's made to run with. There are documented cases whereby a driver issue, corrupt installer and installation all contributed to a horrible computing experience while on Windows 10. In order to make it work, you'll need to be a bit careful and perform due diligence. Might I ask if you changed any of your hardware while you were on your upgraded installation to Windows 10?

4| Be sure to get anything above 2133MHz. Do not buy a mix and matched pair of rams, it's advised you buy a dual or quad channel kit off the bat and forget about it since mixed and match pair of rams tend to cause abrupt computing issues.

* This thread is apparently a mixed bag of sweets, what would you want to do? Troubleshoot your system or build a new system only for the sake of Windows 10? The case is aged and would probably be better off being retired or sold as current gen cases cater to current gen hardware and are more efficiently designed.

Solution