Question on GTX 970 upgrade

Bookworm135

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Hey guys,

I have a question for the general community about an upgrade to my gaming rig I'm planning on making. I wasn't wanting to upgrade this soon (nine months) after building my PC, but in preparation on getting Witcher III and the new Batman (which I had originally planned on getting for the PS4), I think I might have found the card for me. My rig right now is as follows:

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero LGA 1150
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 780 3gb VRAM
CPU: Intel i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad
(Pre-sealed liquid cooler for the CPU)
RAM: 8 GB
PSU: Corsair Professional Series 860W
NZXT Phantom Case (Full Sized)

Now, the graphics card I'm looking at is a GIGABYTE GTX 970 4GB. Located at Newegg at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125684.

I noticed right away that NVIDIA is offering a copy of not only Witcher III but Batman as free games to be included. Batman is Steam while the Witcher is a GOG copy (sister company of the publisher of the game). I would be paying ~$360 for this card with both of those $60 games included. In addition to a $30 rebate card.

My main concerns are:

1. Is the price of this card worth the upgrade and addition to my Steam library / Computer performance?

2. Would this card be compatible with my motherboard, seeing as it isn't an ASUS graphics card. (not terribly worried about this one)

3. I don't think size would be a problem in my Full Sized Tower.

4. I've heard installing drivers for this card can be problematic, I had just planned on using my GeForce Experience and GPU Tweak tools to monitor things and download drivers. Any advice here would be appreciated.

With the release of the Witcher I've realized that my card is really the main thing holding back my PC at the moment, at least for the future of more taxing games. Particularly the VRAM aspect that is a spot of bother for a lot of PC gamers. With this bundle of a good graphics card for around $210 (with rebate) and two free games for $120 it seems like a good time to consider an upgrade. Any advice or things you guys feel I should know would be helpful.

Thanks!

Grimwinder

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014