Question on HD 4890 aftermarket cooler...

RaPiD987

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Hey Guys!

I recently bought a XFX 4890 video card. It's maxed OC was 900/1090 at 34% fan speed. There was a defect on it so I return it. I now have a XT model coming my way in a couple of days and my goal will be to hit 1Ghz. Yes, I can up the fan speed to 60%+ but this sucker is loud. My rig is in our bedroom and the Mrs. hates the sound of jet engines. So that option is out of the question. Now the second option will be to go with an aftermarket cooler to cool this sucker down once it's voltage is raise.

Doing my research, I realize that the ZM-RHS90
ZM-RHS90_m.jpg
would be too tall for an Arctic Cooling S1 VGA cooler.

So researching what cooler are compatible with my 4890 I found that the Scythe Musashi Dual Fan Graphics Card Cooler comes with all the necessary heatsinks. It also includes the VRM's/FET heatsink.
musashi-contents-large.jpg

musashi-installed.jpg

Would this be sufficient or should I go with an orb cooler?

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
I would have gone with a Sapphire Vapor-X card. I've got the 4870 version, and with the fan at 60%, it's still nearly silent, definitely the quietest fan in my case (it even beats out my 250mm monster).

But as you already have the card, your options are more limited.

That cooler looks quite nifty, should be able to keep it cool at minimal fan speeds. Also, a friend of mine has a Zalman VF1000 on his 4870, and it's pretty much silent, and 100% copper, to boot, so I'd imagine it would keep a 4890 cool as well.

BoBzzz

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
+1 for Vapor-X

I've got the 4890 version and I literally can't distinguish it from my case fans (140mm silverstone's).

If you can return it somehow I'd recommend getting that instead.

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
the vapors after market cooler gets like 2-3 degrees cooler than one that doesent have a after market cooler, besides, good luck replacing your vapor-x if you break it.

@rapid, other than after market coolers, you can change your GPU's thermal paste, lower its temps by 5 degrees or so? Allowing you to lower fan speed. (Best way to learn is to go to youtube ;])

RaPiD987

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008

:D That's one of the reasons I went with XFX... I plan on selling it (double lifetime warranty) once the DX11 cards come out...

@rapid, other than after market coolers, you can change your GPU's thermal paste, lower its temps by 5 degrees or so? Allowing you to lower fan speed. (Best way to learn is to go to youtube ;])

I was thinking of doing that, but don't know if I should go with TX-2 or AS5...

I was also thinking the bottom of the case so the GPU fan will get fresh air from the bottom instead from the inside...