Question Question on low end laptop performance

kris05

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017
So I am in the market for a lower end 2-in-1 mostly for portability as a secondary device. However, I am not sure how to compare or what performance level to expect out of these lower end Pentium processors. I'm looking at a Lenovo D330 2-in-1 as reviewed here (Youtube Link to review) running an Intel N5000.

I have an old laptop at home running an i5-4200U and Nvidia 720m. I was wondering, if I limit CPU performance in the power plan to say, 50%, and use the integrated graphics instead of the Nvidia it has, will that be enough to emulate an N5000 to see if I can live with that performance?

Lutfij

Titan
You wouldn't be able to limit the processor in the laptop, not without use of a software that can and will cause irreversible problems. Your laptop will also likely not allow you to tinker with clocks in the BIOS.

That being said, I've worked with a Asus E203MAH-FD005T which is equipped with an N4000, and it's really sluggish, unless you decide to put an SSD in place of the HDD, the boot up is slightly faster but you're left waiting for things to complete processing.

You might want to get a higher spec'd 2-in-1 for the sake of it being snappier. N5000 would be similar to the N4000 I worked with...mind you it was for a client so I was waiting most of the time while installing apps and opening tabs on Chrome.

kris05

Honorable
Jun 26, 2017
You wouldn't be able to limit the processor in the laptop, not without use of a software that can and will cause irreversible problems. Your laptop will also likely not allow you to tinker with clocks in the BIOS.

That being said, I've worked with a Asus E203MAH-FD005T which is equipped with an N4000, and it's really sluggish, unless you decide to put an SSD in place of the HDD, the boot up is slightly faster but you're left waiting for things to complete processing.

You might want to get a higher spec'd 2-in-1 for the sake of it being snappier. N5000 would be similar to the N4000 I worked with...mind you it was for a client so I was waiting most of the time while installing apps and opening tabs on Chrome.

I mean in the power settings there's literally an option for "maximum processor state" and you're allowed to put any value between 5 and 100%. Does that option not do what I think it would do? Because I had already tried put it at 50% and man the laptop got slow.

Notebookcheck also says there's a pretty big difference between the N5000 and N4000 in terms of performance though.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Celeron-N4000-vs-Pentium-N5000_9426_9420.247596.0.html

Last edited: