[SOLVED] Question On modular PSU's

markgraham312

Honorable
Dec 13, 2017
Okay i have a modular psu that Died. I want to know if I buy a new one can i just use the cables currently attacked on the new PSU or do i have to switch out for the ones that come with the new PSU.

Solution
Dont mix the psu cables from different psu's.
Just dont do it.
Every modular psu comes with its own cables and there is no reason for you to use different psu's cable's.
If you have psu sleeve extensions,u can use them,but i wouldnt recommend using different psu cables for a separate psu.
Dont mix the psu cables from different psu's.
Just dont do it.
Every modular psu comes with its own cables and there is no reason for you to use different psu's cable's.
If you have psu sleeve extensions,u can use them,but i wouldnt recommend using different psu cables for a separate psu.

Reactions: Math Geek
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Okay i have a modular psu that Died. I want to know if I buy a new one can i just use the cables currently attacked on the new PSU or do i have to switch out for the ones that come with the new PSU.
Unless you are purchasing an exact replacement, you cannot use the cables from the old PSU.
At all, ever.

If you do, you'll be back here wondering what that little mushroom cloud was.

Reactions: Math Geek

markgraham312

Honorable
Dec 13, 2017
alright thanks. I was just wondering, wanted to check b efore doing anything. iI got the PC from IBUYPOWER but they arnt responding to my RMA requests so i am just gonna replace the part myselfd. i just dont know hwo difficult doing RGB lighting is. so if there was a shortcut I would want to take it. i dont want to blow my pc up XD

DSzymborski

Titan
alright thanks. I was just wondering, wanted to check b efore doing anything. iI got the PC from IBUYPOWER but they arnt responding to my RMA requests so i am just gonna replace the part myselfd. i just dont know hwo difficult doing RGB lighting is. so if there was a shortcut I would want to take it. i dont want to blow my pc up XD

If it was their standard included PSU, you're better off getting a quality one, anyway.

RGB lighting shouldn't really involve much of the PSU. Maybe a controller that uses a SATA connector, but it ought to mostly be between your controller, fans, and motherboard otherwise.