Question Question on my daughters battery pack causing issues

James Fullard

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
My daughter just got a new Cyberpower laptop that has a 3070 gfx cards. Its a nice pretty nice laptop. When her laptop sits idle not running anything with the power pack plugged in it makes her fans start running slightly. When she unplugs her power pack the fans return to normal and she cannot hear them running. When she runs a game with the power pack plugged in the fans start running on high and are very loud. She can unplug the power pack while the game is running and everything calms down and the laptop runs fine.

When her power pack is plugged into the laptop while running a game the keyboard area becomes hot and also the sides of the laptop where the air comes out is hot, when she unplugs the power pack everything goes back to normal and temps all drop to normal.

With the power pack plugged in while running Apex Legends her temp on her gfx card is 73 and when she unplugs the battery pack while the game is running the temp drops down to 54-55.

Would the power pack do this to her laptop?

Dave8671

Distinguished
By power pack you mean the power supply I assume? When plug-in does the power Pack get hot? Warm is fine, hot you can not touch it that could suggest the power pack is failing. Or the battery is failing getting hot is not a good outcome it can damage the laptop itself.

I would consult a local computer repair shop to check both the battery and the power pack.

Hot is subjective, but that could be normal.
When plugged in the system will run at peak performance (and produce far more heat)
When unplugged the laptop will likely default into a lower performance state to save battery (hence the fans and temps dropping).
Charging circuits heat up when in use, so even with the laptop not in use the fans will still run to keep things cool while charging.

James Fullard

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
By power pack you mean the power supply I assume? When plug-in does the power Pack get hot? Warm is fine, hot you can not touch it that could suggest the power pack is failing. Or the battery is failing getting hot is not a good outcome it can damage the laptop itself.

I would consult a local computer repair shop to check both the battery and the power pack.
One of these View: https://i.imgur.com/ZfcorpU.jpg

When plugged in it gets hot not warm but hot. She can touch it but when she runs a game it gets extremely hot to the touch. We are calling Cyberpower PC tomorrow to see what can be done.

James Fullard

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
Hot is subjective, but that could be normal.
When plugged in the system will run at peak performance (and produce far more heat)
When unplugged the laptop will likely default into a lower performance state to save battery (hence the fans and temps dropping).
Charging circuits heat up when in use, so even with the laptop not in use the fans will still run to keep things cool while charging.
Why would it cause he laptop itself to become very very warm borderline hot and cause the gfx card to jump 53 to 73? Is that normal?
So disregard all this, now on top of all that out of the blue her screen goes black and she has to restart the laptop for it to come back on. We shipping this thing back and getting a refund done tomorrow.
No more CyberpowerPC. Any suggestions where she should go shop for a new gaming laptop?

Last edited:

Dave8671

Distinguished
I do not agree. No power supply should get to hot to the point of burning fingers or hand. None my laptops power supplies get that hot. And you state the laptop is getting hot also which means the battery is getting hot. If the power is failing it can produce to much power which can real damage the laptop. The fans get loud casue they are spinning faster to expel the heat.

Normally 45 C is 113 Fahrenheit is the best temperature for a laptop. gaming will increase the heat cause the CPU is in performance mode. But 73c is 163.4 Fahrenheit that is a a bit to high. Now if she plays games on soft materials like a bed that can block the vents from expelling the air I wanted to throw that out there.

I highly recommend you to get the laptop checked out.

Windows default balanced power plan has two modes.

When running on battery, the default graphics adapter is the cpu integrated adapter which takes less power and is not as strong as the discrete 3070 chip.
Also, the cpu will not boost up to the max.
These are designed to extend run time on battery.

OTOH, when plugged in, the discrete 3070 is used and that consumes much more power and generates more heat.
Also, limits on the processor are removed .
More heat is generated, and the fans need to spin up to try to get the heat out of the laptop.

Unfortunately, laptop coolers need to be small and light.
Hence not very effective. Overheating is a common problem with gaming laptops.

James Fullard

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
Windows default balanced power plan has two modes.

When running on battery, the default graphics adapter is the cpu integrated adapter which takes less power and is not as strong as the discrete 3070 chip.
Also, the cpu will not boost up to the max.
These are designed to extend run time on battery.

OTOH, when plugged in, the discrete 3070 is used and that consumes much more power and generates more heat.
Also, limits on the processor are removed .
More heat is generated, and the fans need to spin up to try to get the heat out of the laptop.

Unfortunately, laptop coolers need to be small and light.
Hence not very effective. Overheating is a common problem with gaming laptops.
So disregard all this, now on top of all that out of the blue her screen goes black and she has to restart the laptop for it to come back on. We shipping this thing back and getting a refund done tomorrow.
No more CyberpowerPC. Any suggestions where she should go shop for a new gaming laptop?

James Fullard

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
So disregard all this, now on top of all that out of the blue her screen goes black and she has to restart the laptop for it to come back on. We shipping this thing back and getting a refund done tomorrow. She sent it off the first time after buying it brand new with it doing this same thing. They were supposed to have fixed it so she gets it back and nothing has changed so we getting a refund one way or another tomorrow. Very upset with these people. I've always ordered all my gaming rigs from them with no problems and now this happens with my daughter TWICE?

If a laptop is needed for portability, you get more for your money with a desktop.
But, if portability is needed then buy a gaming laptop but do not opt for the strongest graphics chip option. more like 3060
I think the Lenovo legion units have reasonable cooling.
Research as you will, but then call Lenovo sales and talk to a rep.
Lenovo has frequent sales and they know what is coming up.
Here is an example:
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/lapt...egion-5i-pro-gen-7-(16-inch-intel)/82rf0009us

Dave8671

Distinguished
I never liked laptops for gaming . I know some get hot and cooling is sub standard. For me it was the lack of upgrading them. I can upgrade my motherboard, cpu, and ram and my graphics card on my desktop tower I built.

My system is right on the border of requirements. I need to clean install win 11 and format the drive as gpt. But I am just not in a hurry.
By the time I am ready to it will be time to upgrade.