Question on my old 2010 pc build - upgrade or build a new pc for gaming

May 17, 2018
Hi,

Have not built a custom pc in a long time. I am way behind on my tech and not sure if I should upgrade or build a new PC for gaming.

Note: I need to buy a new motherboard and video card. The motherboard pci express slot is defective and the video card is fried

The old rig:
1 x ASUS P7P55D EVO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

1 x G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Desktop Memory Model ...

1 x MSI GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) DirectX 11 N480GTX-M2D15-B 1536MB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI ...

1 x Intel Core i7-875K Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.93 GHz LGA 1156 95W BX80605I7875K Unlocked Desktop Processor

1 x XFX Black Edition XPS-850W-BES 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular ...

Can i just repurchase my old mobo and a gtx 960 and call it a day? or should I just build a new pc and part this one out. I am way behind on my tech and reading about all the new hardware I dont really know if its worth upgrading.

I would like to try some of the newer games out, fortnite etc. on high

Thanks so much!

Solution
Honestly, anyone recommending "4 or 8GB of RAM" to someone that has kept a system for as many years as you have simply doesn't have your best interests at heart OP. Windows chugs on 4GB without an SSD and I don't see one either.

You need 16GB minimum for the next 3 years of computing, and you should keep your Fermi if it serves you well as there's absolutely no reason to go from 480 to 1050 at this point in time for only 30%ish performance gains. GPU prices are ridiculous right now, and you can wait a year and move to something that ends in at least 70 for a good price and get 2x, or if you must upgrade get a 770/780 used.

50s represent a great card now, but always lose value fastest and become victim to their limits first. How many...
I think build new pc. Based on amd ryzen.

Here are list.

Processor. AMD Ryzen 5 1400
Motherboard MSI B350M Gaming Pro.
RAM 2x or 1x kingston hyper x 2400mhz ddr4.
Graphics card zotac gtx 1050ti 4gb oc
Hard disk. Seagate barracuda 1tb.
Smps corsair cx550m. Or better.

These are cheap and best parts are available. Good for gaming.

genz

Distinguished
Honestly, anyone recommending "4 or 8GB of RAM" to someone that has kept a system for as many years as you have simply doesn't have your best interests at heart OP. Windows chugs on 4GB without an SSD and I don't see one either.

You need 16GB minimum for the next 3 years of computing, and you should keep your Fermi if it serves you well as there's absolutely no reason to go from 480 to 1050 at this point in time for only 30%ish performance gains. GPU prices are ridiculous right now, and you can wait a year and move to something that ends in at least 70 for a good price and get 2x, or if you must upgrade get a 770/780 used.

50s represent a great card now, but always lose value fastest and become victim to their limits first. How many people still with a GT540 vs a GTX460?

Solution

I have gt 710 but i will upgrade it to gt 1030 because gtx 1050 ti give just 15 fps more in almost all games that gt 1030

genz

Distinguished

Wait, are you talking about your own build now?

You don't need 10XX class. You need a used card that ends in 60, 70 or 80. The reason for this is twofold. Firstly, the best quality tested chips are binned highest. By definition they will be the most robust and last longest. The lower quality but still working chips have parts of them disabled and go into the GTX XX10,20,30,40,50 range. You can expect a reliability scale that works like that too, because those lower binned chips are already 'worn out' from factory. Honestly GT(X)X30 and XX40 are the worst spots for reliability, because the card is too cheap to have expensive cooling, and too expensive not to be used for gaming and thus stressed.

Of course those lowest end cards don't usually game and thus they don't actually get used as much.

Anyway, you want the full chip, it doesn't matter which generation as much, you want as much of the full design as possible. Nvidia weakened the lower class chips based on what is needed for current games, and often those crutches hurt future games more than they hurt the 'fully uncut' design. I'd take a GTX480 over a 1040 any day, and if I had a 480 I would not buy a 1050ti. I would sit on my money.

As for your 710, get a used GTX760, it's half the price and about 10% faster. Hell at that point you can afford a 770 or 780.