Question Question on NH-U12A size

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
Hello all! I recently bought a Cooler Master H500 and am looking to cool a R5 3600 with either a NH-U12S, or a NH-U12A as the title suggests. I am more drawn to the A, as it seems to have two of their newer fans for an overall better price than just buying the items individually. On Noctua's site for the CM H500 case compatibility list, both options are 158mm in cooler height. The case is 167mm, will this be enough breathing room? I have never worked with air coolers before and am still sitting on a H100i v2 so I have no idea if that is optimal or may hinder performance. Thanks for any help!

On a side note, should I just sick with my H100i v2 if its still doing okay 3 years ish in? Or is moving to a new cooling system better for this new build / upgrade? Appreciate the help!

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
Yes, that is enough room. Your current CLC should perform well with the Ryzen though. Just make sure you have the proper AM4 mounting bracket to use it (not sure what your CPU is now).
What is CLC? I curently am on a b350 tomahawk and upgrading to a b450 gaming plus max. Cpu is a 1600x currently. Not sure if that means I'll need one.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You are welcome. I would recommend you keep your current AIO. You can always change later.

I am a huge fan (no pun intended) of Noctua heatsinks/coolers. I have them installed on nearly all my rigs (and those I build for friends and family members). They cost a little more than others, but they have never let me down.

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019
You are welcome. I would recommend you keep your current AIO. You can always change later.

I am a huge fan (no pun intended) of Noctua heatsinks/coolers. I have them installed on nearly all my rigs (and those I build for friends and family members). They cost a little more than others, but they have never let me down.
Sounds good, I really dont see a point in replacing my current AIO when its is in fine shape. It seems like the consensus is that one should stay away from AIO's, do you know why that might be? I have heard amazing things about Noctua, glad to hear more reinforcement to buy one when my AIO eventually bites it.

OrientalFlavored

Commendable
Dec 3, 2019

Another quick question too, if I install my current AIO, how difficult are Noctua coolers to install with the mobo in the case? (If i end up going with a air cooler later)