Question on reading temperatures from i7 rig

kingawesome

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
OK, I got my i7 PC put together, and am checking the temperature to make sure thermal paste + HS is all good.

When I open the little utility that came with the mobo (EVGA x58) it lists under temperatures:
CPU and also CPU core#1, CPU core#2, CPU core#3, CPU core#4.

Now the CPU temp seems fine, maxed out at like 75C when I played a game to test it out, but the CPU cores are much higher, and were nearing 90+ range. Which should I be reading? What is the difference exactly?

I'm just using the stock HS that comes with the 920, but I wiped off the pre-applied compound with a lint free cloth + alcohol. Applied my own and spread it thin with a credit card.

I heard these run hot... but 90+ range seems wrong, just wanted to check with the people who know. Should I redo the HS/paste? if so, spread it thin again, or just a drop in the middle? Or are these temps ok.

Not all temp programs are accurate. I recommend you touch the heatsink for a few seconds. If the heatsink isn't too warm and you can leave your finger on it for several seconds, then your temp readings are not accurate. Check the bios temp readings by rebooting when the system is warmed up.