Question Question on silicon lottery/CPU architecture/temps

Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021
Will two identical processor in two diffrent laptop with different base clock (using ctdp) will produce same or different heat???

Suppose there are two processors (ex 1135g7) in two different laptop. Now laptop 1 has its base clock @2.4Ghz and laptop 2 has its base clock @1.4Ghz with intel speedshift tech. In my opinion the second laptop has lower base clock @1.4ghz is due to ctdp down. Both of these processor have turbo clock @4.2Ghz. Now my ques is:- Will both of these laptop will produce same/different amount of heat for same work??? and why???? (assume every other aspect i.e fan, case size etc is same)

Lutfij

Titan
Your question(the first line in the thread's body) doesn't make sense since different speeds will mean different power draw, that will translate to different heat outputs. You're also forgetting that the technology of said processors/devices will greatly vary with technological advancements/improved lithography. Then is the fact that different workloads will be addressed differently on different processors and clock speeds since optimization can and will happen on the app's side of things by dev's of said apps and the processors manufacturer to yield a favorable score used for marketing/advertising.

You're better off asking which one of the two laptops will be hotter...provided you parse the links to both laptops in question.

Reactions: CountMike
Will both of these laptop will produce same/different amount of heat for same work???
If you consider that everything else is exactly the same.
One will take more time to finish the same amount of work and will produce less heat but for a longer amount of time, the other will finish the work faster and will produce more heat but for a less amount of time.

Bottom line, same amount of work will use the same amount of energy, the only things that change is the max temp and for how long it will stay at max, either lower max temp for longer time or higher max temp for less time.

There are different efficiency spots for different workloads but that is a discussion on a whole new level.

Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021
One will take more time to finish the same amount of work and will produce less heat but for a longer amount of time
As you said one will take more time. Consider this both laptop processor have their turbo @4.2Ghz (as both of them are same processor 1135g7). Now when a task is assigned (suppose of 3ghz ) then both processor will increase their frequency (bcoz they have turbo) to 3ghz and finishes the work. In this case how one will do work faster????

As you said one will take more time. Consider this both laptop processor have their turbo @4.2Ghz (as both of them are same processor 1135g7). Now when a task is assigned (suppose of 3ghz ) then both processor will increase their frequency (bcoz they have turbo) to 3ghz and finishes the work. In this case how one will do work faster????
With the lower ctdp it will either
not reach the same clocks,
only reach the same clocks on lighter workloads,
reach the same clocks on fewer cores,
reach the same clocks for less time,
something else,
all of the above.

Reactions: Nikhilniks

Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021
Your question(the first line in the thread's body) doesn't make sense since different speeds will mean different power draw, that will translate to different heat outputs. You're also forgetting that the technology of said processors/devices will greatly vary with technological advancements/improved lithography. Then is the fact that different workloads will be addressed differently on different processors and clock speeds since optimization can and will happen on the app's side of things by dev's of said apps and the processors manufacturer to yield a favorable score used for marketing/advertising.

You're better off asking which one of the two laptops will be hotter...provided you parse the links to both laptops in question.
what i want to tell you two identical processor means same processor 1135g7 in both laptop but having different base clock speeds.
These are the link of those laptop:
Dell Inspiron 3501 (1135g7) base @2.4Ghz
Dell Inspiron 5502 (1135g7) base@1.4Ghz
Those two links dont mention their base clock so i am sending you benchmark result page link where you can see both have different base clock even the processor is same i.e 1135g7
Dell inspiron 3501 @base 2.4
Dell Inspiron 5502 base @1.4ghz
Now what i am saying to do a task (suppose of 3ghz) both laptop processor increase thier turbo to 3ghz (max can go upto 4.2ghz) and finishes the work. So both processor raised their frequency so the heat output should be same.

Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021
With the lower ctdp it will either
not reach the same clocks,
only reach the same clocks on lighter workloads,
reach the same clocks on fewer cores,
reach the same clocks for less time,
something else,
all of the above.
If two same processor (ex 1135g7) have different base clock, does it mean that lower base clock will have ctdp down???