[SOLVED] Question on startup issue probably related to fan - grinding noise

Sep 22, 2020
Three years ago I purchased a CyberPowerPC Gaming computer that has run pretty much perfectly until a few days ago when a loud noise began occurring after I started up the PC. This started after it became cooler temperatures outside, which may or may not be a factor - The noise starts when the PC starts, and gets worse about 1-3 minutes. It sounds like a grinding, the case is vibrating and then I shut the computer down and reboot after about 25 seconds and the PC runs fine for hours. I'm thinking it is the fan and/or cooling that might be an issue.

I've removed the graphics card and confirmed it is not the issue (using a replacement) which leaves me to several fans. If it helps I'll give you the stats on the computer itself:

CAS: CFI Boreallight w/ USB 3.0, EZ Swap HDD, Side Panel Window
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i7-7700K 4.20GHZ 8MB Intel Smart Cache
LGA1151 (Kaby Lake)
CS_FAN: Default case fans
FAN: Corsair Hydro H100i V2 240mm Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper
Cold Plate - Extreme Cooling Performance (2 x Standard 120MM
Fans)
HDD: 1TB WD Black SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD (Single Drive)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX w/ RGB, USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16,
3 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe [Intel Optane Ready]
POWERSUPPLY: 650 Watts - Corsair CSM Series CS650M 80 Plus Gold

Please let me know what you think it could be, I really hope its something not so difficult to fix.

That's it, I'm not entirely sure - the area the noise is coming from has three fans on the side and two on the top..

You can touch a fan while it's moving. Just be sure to be gentle and touch the middle of the fan to reduce it's speed slightly for a second or two. You should be able to pinpoint which one is doing the noise.

When you know which fan is doing the noise you can garbage bin it OR you can remove the sticker at the back of the fan to see the bearings. You can then add 1-2 drop of cooking oil. Then you spin it a few time to get the oil in there. You make sure it's not dripping anywhere and you put back the sticker and plug the fan back. Trust me. I fixed noisy fan like that a hundred times. If it doesn't do anything just replace it.

Sep 22, 2020
You can touch a fan while it's moving. Just be sure to be gentle and touch the middle of the fan to reduce it's speed slightly for a second or two. You should be able to pinpoint which one is doing the noise.

When you know which fan is doing the noise you can garbage bin it OR you can remove the sticker at the back of the fan to see the bearings. You can then add 1-2 drop of cooking oil. Then you spin it a few time to get the oil in there. You make sure it's not dripping anywhere and you put back the sticker and plug the fan back. Trust me. I fixed noisy fan like that a hundred times. If it doesn't do anything just replace it.

Alright, the fact it only does this on startup - does that have any particular significance? Once shut down it goes away on reboot.

Alright, the fact it only does this on startup - does that have any particular significance? Once shut down it goes away on reboot.

Well a noisy fan can be noisy when it wants really. To be sure it's your fan you will have to touch them one by one like I said. If it is not the fan it could be your AIO cooler or your HDD. You don't have anything else that is moving in your system apart from that.

Sep 22, 2020
Well a noisy fan can be noisy when it wants really. To be sure it's your fan you will have to touch them one by one like I said. If it is not the fan it could be your AIO cooler or your HDD. You don't have anything else that is moving in your system apart from that.

I'm reasonably certain it isn't the HDD as that is on the other side of the computer, but how can I tell if it is the AIO cooler?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Solution