[SOLVED] Question on Storage Retention after rebuild

May 23, 2020
I realize this might be a stupid question, but I'm currently working on virtually a complete PC rebuild. Bought a prebuilt IBUYPOWER Trace 930 back in 2018 and have decided to replace the PSU, motherboard, CPU, GPU, and have decided to add another hard drive as im running out of room on my 1TB. Pretty much all im keeping is my SSD, my 1 TB hard drive and the case. I was wondering if my SSD will keep my my OS installed or will I have to reinstall it after the build is completed. I was also wondering if it would be a problem having two hard drives within my computer, and if I will be able to access them both while playing, because one of my friends stated I would only be able to access one as I was playing because it was the "boot drive" as he stated, and I question the legitimacy of his claim lol.

Solution
Your friend needs to learn more about PC's. You'll have access to all your drives. There are 9 in my system.

A fresh Windows install is recommended for a board change but if you like you can just see if it works anyways and install all your motherbd drivers if it does. I would recommend making a full backup of the drive in case it doesn't and you have stuff you need recovered from it.

popatim

Titan
Your friend needs to learn more about PC's. You'll have access to all your drives. There are 9 in my system.

A fresh Windows install is recommended for a board change but if you like you can just see if it works anyways and install all your motherbd drivers if it does. I would recommend making a full backup of the drive in case it doesn't and you have stuff you need recovered from it.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
"because one of my friends stated I would only be able to access one as I was playing because it was the "boot drive" as he stated, and I question the legitimacy of his claim lol. "

Your friend needs a bit of edumacation.

The above reply has 9 drives, I have 7.
Zero problems.