Question Question on thermal paste on cpu

RachokingzOz

Honorable
Jan 2, 2017
I put thermal paste on cpu, and it spread a bit too much to the side. I already whipped the side of the cpu and I also think so some thermal paste got on the bin. Which I also wiped off. I put everything back together and got it working. Just wondering if it will be a problem in the future. Windows boot fine, but temp idle temp is 44 something on he monitor. Wondering if that's alright. Using 3600x with stock cooler.

Idle temps seem fine for a stock cooler, as long as the thermal paste is a non conductive variety, i.e. anything with silver/copper/aluminum, spillage shouldn't cause harm, however, having too much thermal paste on the chip can be counter productive in that it may insulate the chip rather then transfer the heat.

As long as load temps don't crack 80c(usually around 65-75c), it should be fine.

Andyharris84

Prominent
Jul 5, 2019
Apologies in advance for the very novice question but I'm also about to carry out a build using the 3600x with stock cooler and I was under the impression it came with thermal paste + cooler and I didn't need to apply extra. Is that not the case?