Question on upgrading. Advice please.

G

Hey everyone, I am about to upgrade my computer (its about time) and wanted some advice. I currently have the following:

300mhz Celeron 300A @ 100mhz FSB (450mhz) on a Abit BX6-2
256megs of PC-100 ram (1-128meg DIMM and 2-64meg DIMM)
Diamond Monster MX300
Voodoo 4 4500 AGP
6 gig Maxtor ATA/33
20 gig Maxtor ATA/33
HP CD-RW 9180i 8x4x32
Kenwood True-x CDROM 50X? (Cannot remember)

I am about to upgrade to the following but would like opinions on what to change/add etc.

Athlon 1.1ghz on a Abit KT7-RAID board
256megs of PC-133 RAM (2-128meg DIMMS)
Diamond Monster MX300 (same)
Asus V7700 Deluxe 64MB DDR GF2 GTS
(Questions here, wondering if I should get a ATA/100 hard drive and get rid of the ATA/33 drives. Input would be helpful)
6 gig Maxtor ATA/33
20 gig Maxtor ATA/33
HP CD-RW 9180i 8x4x32 (same)
Kenwood True-x CDROM 50X? (Cannot remember) (same)

I am open to suggestions on changes etc. I am looking for a good gaming and overall preforming machine. Thanks.

G

i would suggest a kt133a based mb.
but you might want to wait on it until an issue is corrected see here
<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com/" target="_new">http://www.overclockers.com/</A>
i hesitate to recommend iwill because of past problems with tech support being able to supply me with a bios chip.
(wouldn't answer e-mail...took a MONTH to get a chip, i gave up and have only bought epox or gigabyte since!)

who is more foolish...
the fool, or the fool that takes his advice?

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
looks good. either the abit board or the asus a7v have fanatical followers and are highly recommended. i would ditch the diamond sound card for a creative sbLive!, but if you're happy then, hey... i would recommend upgrading your hard drive(s). you will see SIGNIFICANT gains in performance, especially if you go ata100/7200rpm. and make sure you get a good heatsink/fan combo. if you go for the asus mobo, look at the superorb from thermaltake. if you go abit try something from alpha or globalwin.

<font color=red>booyah, grandma, booyah..</font color=red>

G

Hi,

Specs looks good there. I'd go for the 950/1GHz (as the 1.1 is currently not so good £/MHz) and spend the money elsewhere. If you do a lot of RAM instensive work (e.g. Photoshop), 256mb DIMMS are relatively cheap at the moment, I'd have 2, thankyou :O)

I can recommend GlobalWin Heatsinks over Thermaltake Orbs. I've just built a machine from scratch for a m8...was initially a Duron/700 w/ChromeOrb fan, then swapped CPU for a Tbird 1GHz with a GlobalWin FOP-38. Duron ran at a steady 56 deg C. Tbird ran at 32 deg C, albeit a little noisier. I used an Asus A7V mobo, 256mb PC133, Creative Geforce MX.

If you hammer your HDs a fair bit, it may well be worth upgrading the HDs to IBM GXPs - I used one in the above system - v fast and pretty quiet too.

For reference, I use the same GFX card (Asus V770 64MB) with a Celery/500, and can run quake3 at 1600x1200 high quality, smoothly (!). The Duron/700 ran Quake3 very smoothly in high quality, didn't get much of a chance to test with the 1GHz.

Link for the fan:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_CPU_Coolers_2.html

HTH

Mootin

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mootin on 01/22/01 12:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>