[SOLVED] question on using macrium reflect to image

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
I use macrium reflect to image my hard drive partitions from time to time. I have a question. I used to use Acronis True Image to do the same thing.. but I switched over. When I used to use Acronis.. and say I had a hard drive that was 500 gig.. 300 gig was being used.. when I imaged that drive.. Acronis seemed to compress the partition so that the final image was say.. 150 gig?? It was much smaller. But with macriium.. when I image the same disk above. It would image it as 300 gig.. not compressing it at al. is there a way to make it smaller when it images it?? I am using the free edition of Macrium. .thanks in advance.

Solution
it may not have been exactly half. but it was quite a bit smaller.. so for macrium. does it automatically do it or do you have to set it up to do that. reason being. i just imaged like 3 partitions on a 1 TB drive... when i ran macrium. and had the image created on my back up 1 TB drive. .. i checked the file it created and it was like 862 gig.. is that about as small as it can get??
We'd have to know how much actual space was consumed in the original condition.

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
Macrium does some compressing.
But I can't imaging Acronis reducing a 300GB space down to "150GB".

I use Macrium daily.

it may not have been exactly half. but it was quite a bit smaller.. so for macrium. does it automatically do it or do you have to set it up to do that. reason being. i just imaged like 3 partitions on a 1 TB drive... when i ran macrium. and had the image created on my back up 1 TB drive. .. i checked the file it created and it was like 862 gig.. is that about as small as it can get??

USAFRet

Titan
We'd have to know how much actual space was consumed in the original condition.

Solution