Question on vacuum as a cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
I know it's bad to use a vacuum inside a laptop because the suction pulling in the dust into the plastic nozzle builds up static, and getting too close can cause ESD.

Does the same apply for a phone? Could a vacuum be used on the outside of a laptop or phone safely without ESD damage?

From what I understand most plastics/anti-static or non-conductive materials have dielectrics properties meaning they can build up static, but do conductive materials build up static too?
Would using a vacuum be safe if the nozzle was metal?

Ralston18

Titan
No.

No vacuum, no metal - be the target laptop or phone.

It does not take much of a "positioning" error to have the vacuum grab and hold anything being so cleaned. Laptop or phone is likely to end up with scratches and gouges. If lucky....

Use canned, compressed air for dusting purposes.

If dusting the outside it is likely that you can just use a simple microfiber dust cloth.

Follow first the applicable manufacturer's device's cleaning instructions and the usage instructions on the canned air.

Reactions: ShangWang

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021

Ralston18

Titan
All in all I would be very leery about vacuuming inside a laptop. Or any electronics for the most part.

Just too much chance for something to be pulled loose, bumped, broken, etc.. Many products are not at all as durable as in times past.

Even canned air to blow out dust is risky. Too much pressure, too close to something, moisture condensing - all could end badly.

When looking at micro-vacuum products be sure to read the applicable User Guide/Manual. You may find some interesting notes, caveats, and warnings that do not appear in the ads.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

There may be other ideas and suggestions.

Reactions: ShangWang
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS