[SOLVED] Question pc reboots when i installed new ram, please help?

StephenB95

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Hi so i bought a pre build system from cyber power and everything is running fine, basically i installed another two sticks of ram from amazon. As I found myself needing more than 16gb’s. The original ram in it is listed a 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/3200mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB w/Heat Spreader)... So I bought ram from amazon called Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 Enthusiast RGB LED Illuminated Memory Kit - Black. Assuming it's the same, as it's the same speed and named the something. But after installing the new ram now using all 4 slots on my PC. It will randomly reboot like someone has pressed the reset button. Any ideas why, I took the new ram back out and the PC perfectly fan again.

Update: Just checked the ram i bought it's using the exact same model number as the old ram.

My pc specs:
Summary
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i9 @ 4.00GHz 44 °C
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG MAXIMUS XI FORMULA (LGA1151) 30 °C
Graphics
ROG PG27V (2560x1440@165Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER (NVIDIA) 46 °C
Storage
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM008-2FR102 (SATA (SSD)) 31 °C
953GB Intel Optane+954GBSSD (RAID (SSD))

Solution
Automatic settings i believe, amazon told me it was the same model as my previous ram, but when i read the sticks i get this. Just checked the ram says cm4x8gd3200c16w4 on the ram original ram and says cmw16gx4m2c3200c16 on the back of the new ram. does that make a difference? could that be reason the pc was freezing?
cm4x8gd3200c16w4 appears to be a Russian or European OEM kit that may not be compatible with the kit you bought to add to it or possibly other memory kits. Check the specs sticker of both under the bar code for a version number. It should be next to the 1.35v voltage spec and might be something like ver 4.32.

You may have to just buy a 2x16GB or 4x8GB kit if you want 32GB and return the new 2x8GB.

StephenB95

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Hi so i bought a pre build system from cyber power and everything is running fine, basically i installed another two sticks of ram from amazon. As I found myself needing more than 16gb’s. The original ram in it is listed a 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/3200mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB w/Heat Spreader)... So I bought ram from amazon called Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 Enthusiast RGB LED Illuminated Memory Kit - Black. Assuming it's the same, as it's the same speed and named the something. But after installing the new ram now using all 4 slots on my PC. It will randomly reboot like someone has pressed the reset button. Any ideas why, I took the new ram back out and the PC perfectly fan again.

Update: Just checked the ram i bought it's using the exact same model number as the old ram.

My pc specs:
Summary
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
RAM
16.0GB
Motherboard
Graphics
Storage

StephenB95

Reputable
May 2, 2020

My pc specs:
Summary
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
RAM
16.0GB
Motherboard
Graphics
Storage

acecreator26

Commendable
Mar 9, 2018
A damaged stick of RAM can have weird effects on your PC, the most common issue is BSODS, but restarts often occur too. You won't get the best performance, but I'd try using the two sticks of RAM that came pre-installed with your PC, then put 1 stick that you bought in. Then you can find out if one of the RAM sticks has a bad pin or something.

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
1.) Did you get a User Manual for the Motherboard?
2.) Are the modules paired correctly for Dual Channel? (One pair should be in A1/B1 the other in A2/B2)
3.) Did you go into the BIOS to make sure that ALL FOUR(4) MEMORY MODULES are recognized?
4.) Did you go into the BIOS to check that ALL FOUR(4) MEMORY MODULES have the same settings?
5.) Can you please post pictures of the labels of ALL FOUR(4) MEMORY MODULES?

All that being said, there IS NO GUARANTEE that these memory modules, even if they are EXACTLY THE SAME BRAND AND MODEL NUMBER will play nice together! They were manufactured at different times, possibly in different plants and could contain different chips, different control circuits, etc. That is why manufacturers sell them in ''Kits'' of two(2), and four(4) and eight(8) in the case of ''Intel Dual Quad-Channel''. These are RIGOUROUSLY TESTED TOGETHER BY THE MANUFACTURER(S) BEFORE BEING SOLD.

Are you using XMP or manually setting the timings? Have you tried setting all memory setting to automatic to make sure it will work at minimum standard spec of 2133MT/s?

Can you post the actual model number of the kits. If they are the exact same model, check for version numbers and post both as well.

StephenB95

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Are you using XMP or manually setting the timings? Have you tried setting all memory setting to automatic to make sure it will work at minimum standard spec of 2133MT/s?

Can you post the actual model number of the kits. If they are the exact same model, check for version numbers and post both as well.
Automatic settings i believe, amazon told me it was the same model as my previous ram, but when i read the sticks i get this. Just checked the ram says cm4x8gd3200c16w4 on the ram original ram and says cmw16gx4m2c3200c16 on the back of the new ram. does that make a difference? could that be reason the pc was freezing?

cm4x8gd3200c16w4 appears to be a Russian or European OEM kit that may not be compatible with the kit you bought to add to it or possibly other memory kits. Check the specs sticker of both under the bar code for a version number. It should be next to the 1.35v voltage spec and might be something like ver 4.32.

You may have to just buy a 2x16GB or 4x8GB kit if you want 32GB and return the new 2x8GB.

Solution