Question Re: 2x2GB + 2x4GB = 12GB

Dsella

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013
I currently have 2x2GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 in my desktop, and I am looking to add 2x4GB sticks to total 12GB.

I read a few other threads that said 12GB isn't exactly ideal, and you should go 8 or 16, but why is it a problem if I have 2x of each running Dual-Channel?

The 4GB (2x2GB) I currently have is Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX, and they also have the same exact model RAM but in a 2x4GB version. I was looking on eBay to purchase the 2x4GB version - so I needed some input!

Should I do this, or would I be better off just buying a 2x4GB kit and selling my 2x2GB and leaving expansion for another 8GB down the road..?

Thank you!

EDIT:

I think I am going to order two sets of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104339

OR two sets of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231546

And sell my one set of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104166

Wise or dumb?

ahmeday2012

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
Its OK to buy another 2x4gb ram kit considering they are of the same frequency as the ones you installed, that way it works flawlessly. Also does your motherboard ram slots are colour coded ( 2 ram slots are of one colour and the other 2 ram slots are of one colour but not similar to the other two ram slots).

Dsella

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013

That is what I figured! I saw a few threads regarding 12GB of RAM, and a few replies said you'd be better off with 8GB whether it be 4x2GB or 2x4GB instead of having 12! As soon as I saw those types of comments, I did the obligatory head tilt and eye squint like "Ehhhh, not so sure about that one.." :p

As far as my motherboard - Yes, I have two black slots and two blue slots for memory. I know plenty about computers (mainly hardware, not so much software) as I've been building and fixing them for several years now, I just had never really thought about and/or pursued the idea of having 12GB of RAM! I really wanted to get 16, but the amount of extra money I would end up shelling out just for another 4GB seems a bit useless for me. As it stands, I don't play that many PC games and I also don't stream games/content or render video! I simply want it to speed everyday tasks up and to have as a safety blanket for when I finally give in and purchase Battlefield 4 again (have it on the Xbox One already).

Anyway, I appreciate your reply ahmeday2012!

P.S. - Do you know anything about TV's or are you mainly a computer guy? I have a TV that, I believe, just needs a new power unit, but not entirely sure. It's a 42" Sharp Aquos LED that was plugged into a regular wall jack, not a surge protector, (of course..) while we were away this past July in Seattle and then on a cruise to Alaska. Then, when we got home, I went downstairs and came home to a TV that wouldn't turn on! There was a bad storm while we were away and the lightning must have done me wrong, and now the TV doesn't turn on or even light up the idle red light! If you know anything about the issue, or know somebody who would, please let me know!

...Speaking of bad storms and lightning! LUCKILY it was when we got back, but I'd say within a week of getting from from our vacation, the freakin' basement flooded! And, my room is down here just because it's cooler in the summer and I have more room and what not, but my phone was on the floor charging! Laptop power brick was on the ground! One of my Xbox 360 (SCUF Gaming, $130..) controllers was on the ground! Also one of my surge protectors as well which I thought would have done more damage than it did. So that was a GREAT welcome home present after a beautiful cruise to Alaska.. :kaola:

ahmeday2012

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
I am sorry about what happened to your stuffs while you were away. For your tv there is probably two things you can do. First take it upstairs and check if those sockets are working since you said the basement is flooded. If nothing happens then buy a power cable and check if it turns on. If not, then the only option is to take to a hardware store and ask them to fix it for you.

There isn't really any optimization you could do more to the tv to make it work since these are the only priceless ideas I have except taking it to the store that is.

Hope that helps

Dsella

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013

Bro, this happened last July.. the basement is not still flooded, lol. Also, the flood is not what ruined the TV - it was a storm where the lightning must have surged the outlet and shorted out the TV or something.

I have tried it on different outlets, doesn't work. Also, I can not just replace the power cord like you suggested because it goes into the TV.

Lastly - I'm not taking it to a store. They will charge an arm and a leg to fix it when I could do it myself for what would be 10% of the price I bet. I just need to figure out what I need to do to fix it! Do you think it needs a whole new power unit, a whole new board, or something else? That is mainly what I was asking.

P.S. - The exact model is Sharp Aquos LC-42LE540U

**ONE MORE THING - To stay on the topic of MEMORY, if I was to purchase a set of THIS memory, is it a lot worse than my current memory which is THIS? As you can see from the first post, I currently have 4GB (2x2) of RAM, and I want to upgrade to 12GB. However, I don't like the idea of mixing in the 8GB set that I posted here with the set that I currently have. So, if I was to take out that 4GB set I have now and just put in that 8GB set, would that be stupid? How much worse is that new set I am looking at than what I currently have? Should I just purchase an 8GB set of what I have now to total 12GB? Or should I buy TWO sets of that 8GB RAM to total 16 and sell what I have now? I just don't know (as I'm sure you can tell by the amount of questions in this paragraph :p)

PLEASE let me know what you would do in regards to the RAM situation!!

ahmeday2012

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

For the TV, I am sorry, i don't have that much expertise on TVs. The best solution to this is to post another thread talking about this and hopefully there will be other members with experience that will help you.

For the RAM it is ok to get that one. It will work. My build has 6gb of ram. The ram aren't of the same company but of the same frequency. I placed them in two opposite slots and not of the same coloured slot. If I was to put them in the same coloured slots my pc won't boot. Thats why, and performance wise, my windows experience index for the ram scored 7.3 which is really high.

Hope that helps