Question re: ASROCK N68C-GS FX & CPU Compatibility

esau_dbt

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
I currently have an AMD Athlon 7850 Dual Core 2.8GHZ with 4GB DDR2. GPU is a GTX 650.

I know the N68C-GS FX isn't the greatest board and is a bit dated, but I've been offered a free AMD FX-6300 CPU from a friend who has upgraded his CPU. He claims it will work fine with my board as long as I make sure to use DDR3 RAM.

I have the DDR3 (8GB) RAM on hand already, so I'm good there.

Reading here and elsewhere I seem to get conflicting or perhaps just dated information. Older posts I've read online regarding both this motherboard and CPU appear to show that ASROCK's website at one time listed the FX 6300 as compatible as long you're running BIOs 1.40 (Which I have), but when I go to ASROCK's website now the FX 6300 isn't on the list anymore. Some posts I've read online claim it isn't compatible and note the CPU isn't on the list.

Could the CPU have changed in the last couple years that would make it non-compatible?

Last week I emailed ASROCK but haven't heard anything in return regarding this.

Here's ASROCK's list: http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-GS%20FX/?cat=CPU

I was planning to upgrade my CPU anyhow, and if the FX 6300 is compatible, I'd much rather take my friend on his offer and save the money I would of spent on a different CPU and put it towards upgrading the GPU instead. But if the 6300 isn't, then I'll simply get one that is and hold off on the GPU for another couple months.

I'm not a heavy gamer, but do on occasion play games like CIV 5 and World of Warcraft. Recently though it's becoming increasingly apparent that my computer is falling behind - at least with Warcraft. So I was hoping a bump in CPU, RAM and GPU might help. In all honesty I'me just trying to squeeze another year out of this machine until I get settled in my new house, then I plan on building something else for gaming.

Any assitance and/or insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

if its not on the list its just not supported officially from asrock you could try it but its all at your own risk [I got that board by the way with a am2+ in it ]

maybe drop asrock a e-mail on that and see what they say ? I'm sure they will say not on the list not supported

I seem 3 things to what you said above ??

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/343252-will-amd-fx-6300-work-asrock-n68c-gs-fx.html

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASRock/N68C-GS_FX.html

I used that am2+ in mine but I had planed on using my fx 6100 now that I think back but only had spare ddr2 memory so I went with the am2+ ?

all I can think of is maybe it did support then CPU's at one time but maybe asrock got a lot of issues / RMA's and removed some CPU's from the list that they found caused issues or damage ?? [page 3 of that 7forums link it was said there as well ]

interesting

esau_dbt

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016

Thank you for the reply.

As mentioned above, I did email ASROCK last week regarding this, but I've yet to hear anything back from them. I suppose I could try again though.

The seven forums thread you posted was one of the threads I had read. I remember because I was hopeful when I saw that someone else had asked the same question in January of this year, but unfortunately they never replied back whether they heard from ASROCK. Maybe I'll try there too and see if the person replies.

Just to be 100% on my thinking, I went and found the original box for the N68C-GS FX to confirm I could in fact use AM3+ CPUs and I wasn't mixing things up with something else. On the the box it claims, "8 Core CPU ready" and "supports AM3+", as well shows logos for AMD Athlon II, Phenom II & Unlocked FX Processors.

Anyhow, I guess until ASROCK replies to my inquiry, or I hear otherwise I'll start looking at something from the list that is compatible.

[edit to add]

Not quite sure how I missed this, but I see the same question was asked on this website in 2015.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2574989/asrock-n68c-cpu-amd-fx6300-am3.html

Starting to feel like ASROCK removed support for this CPU over the last year.

don't know asrock has got real funny lately I've run in to another thing with them like how they dropped support for a lot of there boards and been removed from there site motherboard list page matter of fact this board as well and my z87 extreme 6 but funny how they still list and give updated support for the z87 extreme 4 . ya, they cut a lot of boards from this page that use to be there

http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp?s=Current

when I e-mailed then about 3 weeks ago about the dropped/ non support of my z87 extreme 6 [notice the extreme 4 is still listed and look at the current bios updates and all for it ] I was told pretty much '' well you should of bought a board that we still support today '' like 3 years ago how was I going to know all this ??? that was there smart butt reply anyway , too bad so sad ...

how hard can it be to support the extreme 6 if you can still support the 4 ?? sad thing is I use to recommend asrock , now I cant say as much as I once did for them . how can I buy there boards and not know if I will get any support like a bios update that the 4 is getting to support any of todays new hardware I may want to use ??

ya, something changed at asrock I've e-mailed them before and got nice helpful replies that last one I just got a smart a$$ screw you answer [sad]

esau_dbt

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016
I'm rather late on replying to this thread, my apologys.

I've still got no reply from ASROCK regarding this, so I decided to simply purchase a new motherboard and cpu. Which was really the better decision, as the asrock mobo and fx 6300 are really dated.

This topic can be closed, deleted or otherwise ignored as I'm not really sure how to marked it as solved (if it can be considered that)

ya, I think it would of been a long shot for these newer cards to be fully compatible with that older asrock . I don't think I would of risked it unless you just did to try and did not mind to buy a new build for the card anyway [ never hurts to try ]

good luck

TRENDING THREADS