[SOLVED] Question Re. SSD Drive and Disc HDD

jayrae

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
If you had a choice between a Crucial PI 1TB 3D Nand NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD and a Crucial MX500 1TB Sata 2.5" 7mm what would it be? Also would I be able to use a disc HDD with either one with out cloning and not have a problem mainly for use as a back up ?
Thanks

Solution
If you had a choice between a Crucial PI 1TB 3D Nand NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD and a Crucial MX500 1TB Sata 2.5" 7mm what would it be? Also would I be able to use a disc HDD with either one with out cloning and not have a problem mainly for use as a back up ?
Thanks
What is the price difference?

Currently, the P1 is $108 at Newegg, the MX500 is $120. Both 1TB.

IF the motherboard has an M.2 port capable of utilizing the P1 at its full speed,
and IF the motherboard can boot from that P1,
and IF that M.2 port did not impact any other ports I was going to use,
and IF that NVMe drive did not impact PCIe performance for the GPU...

Then the P1 is the obvious choice.

Use of other drives is almost certainly no problem. If you currently...

4745454b

Titan
I'm a bit behind the M.2 drives, but I don't think there is a big difference between those drives The M.2 drive should be faster so I'd go with that if your system supports it.

My old system had two SSD drives, and two spinning drives for storage. You'll have no problems.

M2 Nvme would be faster than an SSD in theory, because it uses PCI lanes and not Sata connection.
But you can buy M2 SSD's which are the same as SSD's but don't need any cables going to it.
You can add your normal HD's to the system as well.
Clone if you want to keep everything the same but faster

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks

IF the motherboard has an M.2 port capable of utilizing the P1 at its full speed,

Use of other drives is almost certainly no problem. If you currently have a HDD, then you want to get the OS and applications on this new SSD, whichever one.
Either cloning or clean install.

Solution

jayrae

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I'm a bit behind the M.2 drives, but I don't think there is a big difference between those drives The M.2 drive should be faster so I'd go with that if your system supports it.

My old system had two SSD drives, and two spinning drives for storage. You'll have no problems.
Thank you for your help

jayrae

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

Use of other drives is almost certainly no problem. If you currently have a HDD, then you want to get the OS and applications on this new SSD, whichever one.
Either cloning or clean install.
Great thank you , I wanted to make sure I was headed in the right direction