Question Question regarding ‘future proofing’ when replacing motherboard

srbarry

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I’m upgrading an older computer which cannot run windows 11 and choosing a new motherboard, it’s a very basic build and does not need high performance.

However, I do want the motherboard to run future versions of windows as they are rolled out, so are the z790and b760 boards equivalent when it comes to future proofing? I’m planning to use the Core i3-14100F processor and the ASRock B760M-HDV/M.2 D4 motherboard.

Also, I assume it may be quite a while before the Arrow Lake lower end processors and inexpensive lower end motherboards are released, so waiting for those seems a bit much for this build. Agree?

Last edited:
Do you mean z790?

I can't recall reading of any reason why a B board would run out of Windows support, but a Z would not.

Is that board DDR 4? I'd probably talk myself into DDR 5.

As far as I know, we won't see non-K Arrow Lake desktop CPUs until first half of next year. Only 3 K models this year. At least that's the rumor.

Likewise, no micro ATX Arrow Lake motherboards this year. As far as I've heard.

It's got me hung up too. I want Arrow Lake, but micro ATX only...but I hate to wait another 6 months, so may settle for 14000 series.

So yeah; for a low-medium duty i3 I don't know why you'd wait.

Reactions: srbarry

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
I do want the motherboard to run future versions of windows as they are rolled out, so are the z970 and b760 boards equivalent when it comes to future proofing
Intel has a tendency of changing the CPU socket after two generations, limiting upgrade options far in the future. By the time Windows 13 comes out (or Windows 14 if the number 13 is considered unlucky) the Z790 and B760 chipsets might be unsupported by Microsoft's latest OS, in the same way Windows 11 will not run (without Rufus tweaks) on motherboards with older CPUs, or incompatible TPM/Secure Boot.

Just buy whatever you feel happiest with now and stop worrying about Windows compatibility, in 4 to 5 years time. By then, you might fancy a new-fangled AI computer or Quantum Computing system. If you keep waiting for the next CPU release/generation, you'll never get a new PC.

I'm upgrading an older computer which cannot run windows 11
I installed Windows 11 in a Hyper-V Virtual Machine on October 5, 2021 and didn't like the new interface. I haven't installed Windows 11 on any of my other machines, sticking with Windows 10 (I skipped Millenium, 2000, Vista and Windows 8/8.1 for similar reasons). Yes, I know I'm a Luddite and I do have some Linux distros.

When I'm forced to run Windows 11 in October 2025, I'll use Rufus to modify the Windows 11 ISO and install 11 on a new SSD in each computer. That way I can continue with Windows 10 offline on an isolated network and boot from Windows 11 for online use. Many of my computers are too old to support standard Windows 11 (CPUs earlier than 2018 or no TPM). It's only my 2600X, 3800X, 7950X and a few newer Xeons which are capable of running unmodified Windows 11.

If Windows 12 is better than 11, I'll skip an OS generation as usual.