Question Question regarding 24pin+4pin power supply plugging in 24pin+8pin motherboard.

Diano

Honorable
Dec 5, 2014
Have to replace the MB of my PC. Could not find the same MB. Found a similar one. My original MB's power is 24pin+4pin. The MB I just found is 24pin+8pin power supply.
My questions:
  1. Is it all right to use the 24pin+8pin MB with only 24pin64pin power supply?
  2. Is it necessary to use a 4pin to 8pin adapter?
  3. Are all the wiring & foolproof designs of either 4pin or 8pin the same?
  4. Some say that the adapter might be causing or inducing issues on the MB. How to plug the 4pin plug into the 8pin socket?

Have to replace the MB of my PC. Could not find the same MB. Found a similar one. My original MB's power is 24pin+4pin. The MB I just found is 24pin+8pin power supply.
My questions:
  1. Is it all right to use the 24pin+8pin MB with only 24pin64pin power supply?
  2. Is it necessary to use a 4pin to 8pin adapter?
  3. Are all the wiring & foolproof designs of either 4pin or 8pin the same?
  4. Some say that the adapter might be causing or inducing issues on the MB. How to plug the 4pin plug into the 8pin socket?
That depends much on MB in question. Both, 4 and 8 pin carry same voltage (12v) but 4 pin from PSU fits in only one place and position in the 8 pin on MB, it's keyed that way. If it works with 4 pin only it's OK for normal use but with OC or a GPU that gas no added power it's better to have all 8 pins even if you have to use adapter.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS