Question Question regarding 5600

Quadro-X

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Hi there

Long time since I've posted in this forum.

Anyway I would like to upgrade from a 1600 to a 5600 because it's clearly limiting my 3060 Ti.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte Gaming 3 B350, which I know can support it thanks to a generous BIOS update (thanks AMD).

2 questions:

• What will I be missing out on by not using a newer chipset (consider I'm your average 1440p gamer). PCI-E 4.0 and re-sizeable bar wont be possible, anything else?
  • Is there a way to ensure a potential 32GB ram kit I want to buy (3200mhz) will work will with my setup? My QVL list isn't listing many options.

Regards

• What will I be missing out on by not using a newer chipset (consider I'm your average 1440p gamer). PCI-E 4.0 and re-sizeable bar wont be possible, anything else?
  • Is there a way to ensure a potential 32GB ram kit I want to buy (3200mhz) will work will with my setup? My QVL list isn't listing many options.
Other than that, not much really. Most B350 boards had very weak VRM and I wouldn't suggest buying one to pair with your 5600 but that's what you have. I also know a couple folks who were happy running their 1800X CPU's at 3.9-4Ghz on a Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 so it should work out fine powering a 5600X.

It's probably unrealistic to expect mfr's to update their QVL's for modern CPU's on obsoleted board models. But the MMU is in the CPU and that is probably 95% of compatibility: look on AMD's support web site for more complete listings of compatible DIMM kits.

https://www.amd.com/en/processors/ryzen-compatible-memory

And a few pointers: keep to a 2 DIMM kit if your hope is to achieve 3600 speed. It may be overclocking still (so no guarantees) but it's highly achieveable with just setting XMP on 5000 CPU's and a 3600 kit. Be sure to update BIOS to the latest and then reset CMOS with a battery pull after putting in the new CPU and memory.

Last edited:

Quadro-X

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Other than that, not much really. Most B350 boards had very weak VRM and I wouldn't suggest buying one to pair with your 5600 but that's what you have. I also know a couple folks who were happy running their 1800X CPU's at 3.9-4Ghz on a Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 so it should work out fine powering a 5600X.

It's probably unrealistic to expect mfr's to update their QVL's for modern CPU's on obsoleted board models. But the MMU is in the CPU and that is probably 95% of compatibility: look on AMD's support web site for more complete listings of compatible DIMM kits.

https://www.amd.com/en/processors/ryzen-compatible-memory

And a few pointers: keep to a 2 DIMM kit if your hope is to achieve 3600 speed. It may be overclocking still (so no guarantees) but it's highly achieveable with just setting XMP on 5000 CPU's and a 3600 kit. Be sure to update BIOS to the latest and then reset CMOS with a battery pull after putting in the new CPU and memory.

Thank you!! I read maybe the 5600 has an even lower power draw than a 1600 so should be OK. I am getting non-X version.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
A 5600 will not stress a B350 in the slightest. I've got a slightly overclocked 5700x and it's maybe pulling 75 watts. It's a cool runner. Don't worry about the VRM's they will be under the same or less stress than with your current CPU.

If you're looking for a solid 3200 kit I had excellent luck with Gskill Flare X 3200 CL14. There are cheaper kits out there but I think AMD likes B-die ram. Currently I have 32gb Gskill 3600mhz 16-16-16 B-die and it's running great. The faster boosted frames a bit at 1440, but nothing dramatic, single digits. Even with 32gb I have yet to use anything beyond 16gb, so that could remain an option for you unless you have specific applications that require 32... What ram do you have in there now?

Reactions: GarrettL

Quadro-X

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
A 5600 will not stress a B350 in the slightest. I've got a slightly overclocked 5700x and it's maybe pulling 75 watts. It's a cool runner. Don't worry about the VRM's they will be under the same or less stress than with your current CPU.

If you're looking for a solid 3200 kit I had excellent luck with Gskill Flare X 3200 CL14. There are cheaper kits out there but I think AMD likes B-die ram. Currently I have 32gb Gskill 3600mhz 16-16-16 B-die and it's running great. The faster boosted frames a bit at 1440, but nothing dramatic, single digits. Even with 32gb I have yet to use anything beyond 16gb, so that could remain an option for you unless you have specific applications that require 32... What ram do you have in there now?

CMK16GX4M2A2666C16......... but I got it running at just under 3000. I would like to upgrade to 3200mhz and 32GB down the line but QVL listings for my motherboard are limited. So I'll probs buy one listed on AMD's website.

GA-AB350-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.x) Key Features | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Reactions: Why_Me